7mm Short Action Ultra Mag reamer specs

Varminteer

Hello,
Anyone have experience shooting the Hornady 162gr A-Max bullet in the 7mm SAUM?

Specifically looking for information if you used a custom grind reamer or the standard off the shelf reamer.

The standard reamer I found has a .321" neck and .090" free bore. That neck diameter seems a little large to me considering my factory loaded cases measure .314"ish.

I have not talked to PTG yet. Just wanted some input on a reamer that shooters are currently using.

Thanks

I shoot the 162 Amax in mine, a Douglas barreled Savage cut with a standard reamer.

My reloads are also around .314 neck diameter, the neck diameter of my fired brass is .319 ish so that would be in line with the .321 reamer spec.

I seat my bullets so they are .007 off the lands, unfortunatly that makes them about .025 to long to fit in the magazine. I could shorten that up a bit but they shoot so well that I don't want to change a thing.

Chris

Thanks for the input Chris.

It looks like the standard reamer will work. That way no neck turning required.

Also plan on necking down .300 SAUM brass to 7mm. Will keep eye on neck diameter and thickness.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.