Loaning a suppressor on private property?

If your friend happened to be a convicted felon or couldn't own a firearm for any reason I wouldn't press my luck but that's my opinion I value my right to bear arms

If you have a trust and the individual is on your trust then it's okay. If not, then it's a big no no the way I understand it. You can add or remove responsible persons to a trust at any time.

In TX a State Game Warden has authority to go anywhere he or she pleases so long as they have reason to believe there is someone breaking the law.

They can and will enter any property they want that wild game inhabits in the state of Texas. I've never heard of a game warden being hung for trespassing with a firearm. Pure nonsense

Same thing in OK. They have more authority than police, or highway patrol. NFA items are too expensive to lose so why take the chance.

My ex wife took my paper work out of my safe before I physically took possession of the suppressors to try and get me in trouble. I went to the shop that did the paper work and they gave me a copy that I used until I could get my originals out of my gun safe.
Hind sight is 20/20 but I should have let her "take" possession and had her arrested lol She was not on the trust. Come to think about it I never trusted her enough to put her on my Trust.

That's hilarious!

sealteam4
I know both game wardens here in Bowie Co well.
I alway text if we are going to be hog or coyote hunting at night just as a curtsey.

It would appear that if you are wanting to let someone use your suppressed firearm and you not be right there with them you Will be in violation of the law.

it's not worth the risk.

I believe most TX wardens are good guys and looking for serious offenders.

If you have a good relationship with your local one, I'd give em a call just get his or her opinion.

more than likely you can ask three different ones and get three different answers as this seems to be unchartered waters on the particular topic.

good luck

Any clue what the law says about loaning a suppressor to a friend or guest on private property? To be clear this would be on a large TX ranch where the Can will not ever leave the property. More or less going from the camp to the blind. Thanks

Joe S
Lots of experts giving opinions. How many of them have a tax stamp? I have a NFA trust and it was explained by my dealer that if someone isn't on the trust, they couldn't handle the device. Rules may have changed but I haven't heard of any revisions to the allowable use by others not on the trust or the stamp. It would be a felony for them I believe, and probably some problems for the registered owner like revocation of the stamp, which would make ownership of the device illegal and it may be a crime to loan a device to someone not on the trust or stamp. Stamps are for individuals while trusts allows others. I was told that if I died only someone from my trust or law enforcement could handle any NFA devices. I really am not of the belief that someone not listed on the trust can handle the device at all. I should go read the rules again to make sure, but have always been careful. Silencers are misunderstood by much of the public and law enforcement. They draw attention and sometimes reaction, usually fear, from the misinformed.

I had a bad run in with a game warden. We used a boat to get to a deer hunting spot up the river. We had a big buck in the boat my buddy shot. We had rifles on us, hunter orange, the whole deer hunting deal. He saw a shotgun shell in the boat and used that as probably cause to search the boat, us, and the truck for possession of ducks. We also electronically tagged (called in / used a phone app and got a tag number) the buck, but we were given a ticket for not visibly, physically tagging the deer. So the point of the story is even when you do everything right, you're probably still doing something wrong. I would not risk it letting someone borrow a can on your property. We got a ticket for a silly rule, you can get jail time and loss of rights

I hate that you had a run in with someone looking for a ticket. All of the agents are not like that.

Lots of experts giving opinions. How many of them have a tax stamp? I have a NFA trust and it was explained by my dealer that if someone isn't on the trust, they couldn't handle the device. Rules may have changed but I haven't heard of any revisions to the allowable use by others not on the trust or the stamp. It would be a felony for them I believe, and probably some problems for the registered owner like revocation of the stamp, which would make ownership of the device illegal and it may be a crime to loan a device to someone not on the trust or stamp. Stamps are for individuals while trusts allows others. I was told that if I died only someone from my trust or law enforcement could handle any NFA devices. I really am not of the belief that someone not listed on the trust can handle the device at all. I should go read the rules again to make sure, but have always been careful. Silencers are misunderstood by much of the public and law enforcement. They draw attention and sometimes reaction, usually fear, from the misinformed.
I replied the way that I would handle it if I would run into you while I was at work. I have a trust with trusted friends on it. I have gotten to the point that I started using the form 1 and building my own.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.