Loads for a 264 winmag

chad

Father in law wants me to load his 264 winmag. He shoots a Winchester pre 64 model 70.
What is a good load with 140 grain bullets?

If you give a hundred people a given set of components to work up a load for a given cartridge in a given rifle, you'll get a hundred different "best" loads for whatever their standards are if they shoot one test group with each recipe they try with 5 or less shots.

For accuracy, I suggest you start with what Sierra Bullets' recommendation is for their 140-gr. bullets in the .264 Win Mag that's proved very accurate across several rifles they tested it in: 55 grains under their 140-gr. bullets seated to an OAL of 3.34 inch. If a good hunting load's desired, 62 grains of H4831 and the same OAL did well in Sierra's tests with their 140's. Their basic test rifle was a Win. 70 for these loads.

If you shoot several test groups with a given recipe, use the largest one to represent the accuracy you can count on for that recipe.

Lots of opinions on loads for the 264. I load for two rifles and they are as different as night and day. One an older M70 likes IMR7828 and 140gr. bullets. The other seems to prefer Rl-33. If you are looking for speed slower powders get more fps in my rifles. One of my favorite loads is with 125 Noslers and H1000 I get 3300 fps in one and 3350 in the other. As to charges you will have to work up as a starting load in one rifle blows primers in the other, that is why I did not include the charges.

I'm gonna try 7828ssc and rl 26, as far as a 140 grain bullet I haven't got any yet. Don't care much for Sierra bullets. Have not had good luck with them on game. If I can find a accubond that would be great. As far as speed 3100 will be plenty. Not looking for a speed demon.

I've had my latest 264 barrel (28" Lijla) for just over 18 months, it loves either Retumbo or RL25 with 140gr Accubonds, still developing loads and seating depths, but it gives me regular itty bitty little groups with those powders. H1000 is also very accurate, but down quite a bit on velocity, which I want both if I can get it.

Cheers.
gun)

Tried IMR 7828ssc in my Mod 70 sporter and though I found a semi-decent group (1.25" @ 100) the velocity was under 2900. I also had 2 virgin cases that came out with split necks.

Switched to RL33 and have a 5-shot group around .4" and velocity is where I want it = 3080 or so. I started working on my load around 72gr and found the best one at 75. I stopped there.
Both of these were with the Nosler 142 ABLR.

I've read from others with the 140/142 gr bullets that RL33, US869 and even the RL 50 may be your huckleberry. But I've also read of a lot of folks using various versions of 4831, RL 25 and several others.

I've tried H1000, Retubmo, and 4831SC. I've also tried 140 NAB, VLD, and A-Max. The best combo for me is 4831SC and the 140 A-Max. Velocity is around 3175 and shoot consistently .5 MOA at 400yd. I shoot the same load in 2 rifles with the same barrels and same reamer used.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts