6.5 EDL-X in 264 winmag???

razorman

Hi all ,
First of all , Happy new to you all .
I am currently running a semi custom Savage 112 BVSS in 264 winmag with a 1 in 8 twist 26 inch barrel.
Have been shooting the 130 TMKs and the rifle likes them ,
I have picked up some 143 grain (6.5) EDL-X to try and am using Nosler custom 264 winmag brass/ Federal 215M primers and Retumbo power.
I loaded them 10 thou off the lands and started at 68 grains working up .5 grains up to 71 grains.
All was 5 shot groups.
68 and 68.5 grains showed promise but the other groups seemed erratic - your thoughts and experinces please!!!
Many thanks ,
Ray.

I had a great load with r33. 2.735 cbol with 73 or 73.5 gr I was 5h thous off the lands.
Have another possible load right now I'm working on. Same length, 70 gr r26 speed with r33 was 3125. Not sure what the r26 is giving me. I think it's possible that it's close to 3400
1-8 twist. 26" tube

I have had a 264 winmag in my safe since 1995. I have three currently and a fourth under construction. I know through direct experience and understand that most of the load data is pretty anemic. I won't make the assertion that your load is or is not safe in your particular rig. That is up to you. I will just share a kernel of my experience gained from shooting several thousand rounds through several different 264win mag rifles.
I spent some time with Retumbo and a handful of different 140g bullets. You are pretty **** far past the highest listed load data. Hodgdon lists 63.5g RETUMBO as a maximum load with a 140 Nosler partition. That isn't necessarily surprising. You are working fully two grains past anything I've EVER safely loaded in any of my rifles that didn't exhibit very obvious signs of over-pressure. I also worked with the 143 ELDX in my 26" SAAMI chamber 264win with Nosler custom brass (210g) Winchester LR Magnum primer and a CBTO measurement of 2.775" with the 143 ELDX and RETUMBO. I started at 61.0g and worked up. I recorded 3,280fps from my magnetospeed at 69.0g RETUMBO and very suddenly encounter a very noticeable hitch at primary bolt lift. I stopped there. I have never found a load that shot sub-MOA with any 140g class bullet beyond 68.2g of RETUMBO from any of my 264 win mag rifles.
Take it or leave it, it's free advice.

I have had a 264 winmag in my safe since 1995. I have three currently and a fourth under construction. I know through direct experience and understand that most of the load data is pretty anemic. I won't make the assertion that your load is or is not safe in your particular rig. That is up to you. I will just share a kernel of my experience gained from shooting several thousand rounds through several different 264win mag rifles.
I spent some time with Retumbo and a handful of different 140g bullets. You are pretty **** far past the highest listed load data. Hodgdon lists 63.5g RETUMBO as a maximum load with a 140 Nosler partition. That isn't necessarily surprising. You are working fully two grains past anything I've EVER safely loaded in any of my rifles that didn't exhibit very obvious signs of over-pressure. I also worked with the 143 ELDX in my 26" SAAMI chamber 264win with Nosler custom brass (210g) Winchester LR Magnum primer and a CBTO measurement of 2.775" with the 143 ELDX and RETUMBO. I started at 61.0g and worked up. I recorded 3,280fps from my magnetospeed at 69.0g RETUMBO and very suddenly encounter a very noticeable hitch at primary bolt lift. I stopped there. I have never found a load that shot sub-MOA with any 140g class bullet beyond 68.2g of RETUMBO from any of my 264 win mag rifles.
Take it or leave it, it's free advice.

Many thanks for your replies.
Trnelson , thanks for your insight on owning / using the 264 winmag!!
I was using a OAL ( using comparator on calipers ) 2.790 ( 10 thou off lands ) and 68.5 grains of Retumbo was giving me a average of 3080 fps with no pressure signs at all.
As it showed some promise i have loaded some more at 68.5 grains but have loaded back in 10 thou increments back to a OAL of 2.740 ( 2.780/2.770/2.760/2.750/2.740).
Hoping to get to range tomorrow to see if the load tunes in or not!!!
I better mention too , that i reside in the United Kingdom and we are in winter here at the moment!!
Many thanks.

Many thanks for your replies.
Trnelson , thanks for your insight on owning / using the 264 winmag!!
I was using a OAL ( using comparator on calipers ) 2.790 ( 10 thou off lands ) and 68.5 grains of Retumbo was giving me a average of 3080 fps with no pressure signs at all.
As it showed some promise i have loaded some more at 68.5 grains but have loaded back in 10 thou increments back to a OAL of 2.740 ( 2.780/2.770/2.760/2.750/2.740).
Hoping to get to range tomorrow to see if the load tunes in or not!!!
I better mention too , that i reside in the United Kingdom and we are in winter here at the moment!!
Many thanks.
You bet. Welcome to the club! I am anxiously awaiting a transitional twist Bartlein Barrel for my build currently underway to send the new heavy 6.5 Berger.
I have found great results with Norma 217. It is a bit slower than Retumbo and allows for a better case fill with lower SD than I ever had runnning Retumbo.

Trnelson , many thanks for the welcome and i shall await to hear about your new barrel.
Well i tried the 143 EDL-X with the differing seating depths mentioned and still no consistency im afraid!!!
A friend had some EDL-X to try in his 6mm-47 Lapua and he found the same as in inconsistant.
Bit of head scratching on this one or just change powder to see what happens.
Or just keep to the 130 TMKs.
Many thanks for replys gentleman - much appreciated!!.

I would try a diff powder. I generally do not mess around long trying to get one particular powder to shoot well. Usually seems that the rifle will tell you if it likes the powder on the work up. Often I will switch powder before I ever get to the point of shooting groups. Retumbo is one of those powders ,for me, that the rifle loves or hates.

Steve

I would try a diff powder. I generally do not mess around long trying to get one particular powder to shoot well. Usually seems that the rifle will tell you if it likes the powder on the work up. Often I will switch powder before I ever get to the point of shooting groups. Retumbo is one of those powders ,for me, that the rifle loves or hates.

Steve

Exactly Steve! That is a great point of clarity, especially with a cartridge as over-bore as a 264winmag. Don't waste valuable barrel life trying to 'make' something shoot.
I load three rounds at each charge level I want to try. I shoot the first of each to run a quick ladder for pressure and velocity. If it shows acceptable velocity and safe results I MIGHT shoot the other two. Usually working backwards from the last SAFE load.
I expect to see an obvious accuracy window between 3,160 FPS and 3,190 FPS with 140g class bullets such as the berger 140g hybrid and the Hornady 143 ELDX. No reason to burn up barrel life and shoot anything much outside that window.

Trnelson , again many thanks for the info!!!!
Here in the UK , things are going to be tricky as in being able to get american made powders in the near future - aparently they have to be REACH compliant!!
Another blooming restriction!!!
So i remember on your reply about trying Norma 217 , shall see if i can get hold of some to try!!!
Many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts