Loads for 6mm Remington in Model 700 BDL Varminter

MontanaJack

I'm trying to work up a load for a 1960's vintage 6mm Remington Model 700 BDL varminter. My loads using Berger 105 VLD hunting bullets produce about a 2" group. Seems like this caliber should do better. A local dealer recommended dropping to 95 grain bullets because the old Remington BDL barrel might have too slow of a twist. Can anyone share any load data? What twist did Remington use in the old BDL Varminter 6mm Rem barrels? Would appreciate any advice that might be out there.

Is this a 6mm Rem or a 244 Rem?

The 244 was designed as a varmint rifle and was offered with 75g varmint bullets and a 90g deer load.

This could be the 244 which has a 1 in 12 twist and won't stabilize longer bullets. The 6mm wasn't offered until 1963.

The 6mm should shoot the VLD bullets. It was made with a 1 in 9 twist.

If your rifle is stabilizing the VLD bullets then try the 95's. I have great luck with them in my 6mmAI at 6mm speeds.

it is a 6mm in the Model 700 BDL that was introduced in the 1960's. the 105 Berger's are wild. Do you have any loads for the 95gr bullets? Thanks for your comment!!

I've got a 1967 Rem. 700 in a 6mm.It's a standard BDL.My rifle shoots really tight with 100 and 105gr bullets and 43.5grs of IMR-4350.

Thank you!! I'll give that a try. Looks like the big snow storm predicted for this part of Montana isn't going to happen. So, I'll be able to get to the range over the weekend afterall and I'll try the 4350. I used 4895 on my first attempt.

Thank you!! I'll give that a try. Looks like the big snow storm predicted for this part of Montana isn't going to happen. So, I'll be able to get to the range over the weekend afterall and I'll try the 4350. I used 4895 on my first attempt.

I shot 6mm's for several years, and I liked H414. Took the loads right out of the Hogdon manual, and never looked back. H380 isn't bad.

The barrel is a nine twist, and I always thought a nine twist worked best with 85 grain and heavier bullets.
gary

A while back a friend asked me to work up a load for the 100 gr partitions in his sporter 6mm Rem. I used RL-17 and got unbelieveable velocities AND accuracy. I would give RL-17 a try. (see pic)

As for shooting the Bergers I just worked up a load with the new 105 hybrid in a 6mm-284. It was too easy. Bullet seating depth was not an issue. Seated so it could be fed from a wyatt's mag box in a SA Rem 700. Jump is .065". It wasn't luck either. This makes the third hybrid I have tried in various calibers and all were seating depth insensitive. Worth a try. Besides that 105 hybrid has a much higher BC of .547!

6mmmRemand100grNoslerPartition3300fps.jpg

Jack: The berger 6MM 105 gr. VLD is a great bullet,although I believe a 1-8 twist is recommended. Due to it's quite long length, a faster than typical twist is required for optimum performance.Should be a 1-9 twist in your 700.
I like H414 in my 6MMs.

PM sent

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.