Hunting load recipes for Remington Model 7 in .260 Remington

Can you number the shots (holes) and resend the pic. I bet the high right was 1st or 4th shot. Was your barrel clean or was it fouled first before you walked down and hung your target?

Nice group though. A little tweak here and their your good to go. Was brass unfired new or once fired FL sized?

Can you number the shots (holes) and resend the pic. I bet the high right was 1st or 4th shot. Was your barrel clean or was it fouled first before you walked down and hung your target?

Nice group though. A little tweak here and their your good to go. Was brass unfired new or once fired FL sized?

Today was the first time I shot anything through this rifle. New rifle, caliber, trigger, and scope.

I don't remember the exact sequence of the string. I think the oddball was me. I'll have to take better notes on shot sequence next time. Velocity on this load was about 2560 fps.

As far as fouling, it had a number of rounds through it before this string. I shot a few rounds, maybe 10, to ensure it was on paper and relatively close to center before shooting the test strings. I shot 30 rounds through it total.

Brass was new, but I'm not sure what the guy had done with it before loading. He seemed extremely interested in ensuring I was happy with the results and communicated that we could continue to chase the group size as much or as little as I wanted...changing powders, charges to the tenth of a grain, primers, brass, and seating depth, if I wanted to. He had me meet him at his range and he provided the targets, sand bags, chronograph, everything but the rifle and hearing protection. He seemed genuinely concerned about covering safety and about his reputation for precision and making people happy with the results. I didn't think $13 for 20 rounds was unreasonable either. He offered to help me get my own equipment set up and show me the ropes to duplicate whatever results we come up with together for my rifle.

You might want to try a little faster powder like 4350 for better velocity. Remember shorter barrels require...usually faster powder for complete burn to get get better velocity.

You might want to try a little faster powder like 4350 for better velocity. Remember shorter barrels require...usually faster powder for complete burn to get get better velocity.

I was thinking that last night about 4350 when rereading the posts here and some load data elsewhere online. I actually just left a message for the guy to call me about it.

Hodgdon didn't have data for the 129 gr SST and recommended working off the 140 gr bullet data of 34.0 - 36.0 of Varget and 39.0 - 42.0 of H4350.

I picked up some stuff to just get started and practicing the process. The shop didn't have a ton of selection of 6.5mm bullets so I grabbed some Sierra 85 gr Varminter and 107 gr SMKs, CCI BR2 primers, and H4350 powder. I'd like to see how the H4350 does with the 129 gr SSTs and do some looking in the manuals for something to push the Sierra bullets I picked up.

Based on the load data, it seems different bullets, and different weight bullets from the same manufacturer may like different powders completely.

They had Nosler BT, Accubond, and Partition. I just wanted to get some cheaper bullets to load and start learning the process myself and load something I could shoot grounhogs, etc without being overkill.

Ordered a set of dies as well.

I'd like to see how the Nosler Ballistic Tips shoot as well and see how much more velocity I can get out of the 120 gr bullets. I'm hoping to push something in the 120-130 grain range to the 2700 fps mark with accuracy. Maybe that's not reasonable with the 20" barrel as I was only getting 2560 with 46.0 gr of H4831. Above that, the groups started opening up.

I don't have the experience to know enough about rifle ballistics to know if the 1/9 twist has more to do with that or the rifle not liking that charge of powder.

What kind of velocity are you guys with 20" barrels getting?

A manual I have lists 46.0gr of Reloder 19 behind a 129gr Hornady bullet will produce 2,890 FPS from a 22" barrel. I'm hoping that might do 2700 in my 20".

3 rounds at 100 yards @ 2897 fps into 0.438" (outside to outside of the hole) out of the Model Seven. Bring on deer season.

M720120311.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.