Loading bergers

timmymic

When you guys load vld's do you have the use the redding die or will the other still be ok and have good accuracy?

I use regular RCBS dies, and have no issues with accuracy.

I have been considering buying the VLD seating stems just b/c I use VLD's for most every rifle I reload for.

If you already have a seater die, the best way to figure out if it is suitable for VLD's is to take it apart, get a hold of the part that internally touches the bullet and seat it on a sample bullet. It should touch only the ogive of the bullet. If it touches the tip of the bullet it is going to cause you fits.

Sometimes a die like that can be drilled out so that it clear the bullet tip, but ideally a good die will make contact as far down the ogive as feasible since this is close to the position where the bullet will contact the rifling. The more consistent the "jump" the better they will shoot. The bullet tips tend to not be consistent at all and you can damage them easily too.

I have a RCBS competition seating die and it works great. Another thing you can do though is take a loaded vld round and push it into your seating die and twist it a little. Pull it out and see where it leaves a wear mark. If it shows a wear on the ogive and not on the tip then you should be good. Like the others have said you don't want the seating die to press the bullet in from the tip, but from the ogive.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.