Loading 300 RUM questions

pdog

I am getting ready to try to develope a long rang load for my brothers 300 RUM Sendero. Does anyone have a pet load with good accuracy and ballistics for shooting out to 1k? I am thinking that we want at least 190gr or larger bullet. I shoot smk's in my Edge and they have done great. Has anyone had good experience with SMK's appropriate for the 300 RUM?

Thanks for th help..
J.P.

My current go-to load is 80.5gr of H1000 pushing a 240 gr SMK from .015" off the lands.

It's a fairly mild load at right around 2750 fps out of my 30" barrel, but it shoots so well that I haven't borrowed chasing a hotter accuracy node.

Here's my group with this load during load development:

load-dev-group.jpg

208grn Amaxs, CCI primer, 83grns H1000 and .010" off the lands.Shoots 1" groups at 300 yards out of my sendero.I didnt find the 220 smks that good but just my 2 centcs:)

I'm shooting the 200 gr Accubond at 3200 fps out of my 26" Rem 700. 91 gr of IMR 7828 and a Federal 215GM primer. This is above listed book max but I developed it in 80 degree weather and no pressure signs. I've shot it out to 600 yds with good accuracy and dropped a small elk like a sack of *&%$@ with it with a high shoulder shot at 589 yds this year. Broke both scapulas and made about an inch and a half exit.

I am getting ready to try to develope a long rang load for my brothers 300 RUM Sendero. Does anyone have a pet load with good accuracy and ballistics for shooting out to 1k? I am thinking that we want at least 190gr or larger bullet. I shoot smk's in my Edge and they have done great. Has anyone had good experience with SMK's appropriate for the 300 RUM?

Thanks for th help..
J.P.

Several of us are shooting the 240SMK under 101-104.5g US869--absolutely max in temps 45 or below. This is not a temp stable powder, but really seems to extract every bit of energy out of the big bullets. My load in 26" 10twist is 104.2g for 2993MV. ES is usually in high teens. I have yet to find a load that will better this for energy delivered downrange with the .711 bc of the 240. I've killed elk at 450yds and 80 yds dead first shot with this load. The 80yd shot took out the R front shoulder and blew apart 3 ribs before making a mess of chest cavity--it didn't go very far. the 450 shot went right through the engine room, but the light was so low, I couldn't tell for sure, so I put another in it. Both exited, the first blowing a 2" hole in the offside ribs.

My next choice would be the 210 Berger. I think most folks are using Retumbo with it. Berger markets these as hunting bullets as well as high BC match bullets. Seems to have a pretty good track record overall for hunting.

Hope this helps.

My next choice would be the 210 Berger. I think most folks are using Retumbo with it. Berger markets these as hunting bullets as well as high BC match bullets. Seems to have a pretty good track record overall for hunting.

I'm just getting to my stack of 210 VDL Bergers... has anyone found good reloading data for them yet? I mean H4831SC would probably be fabulous, but I'm shooting regularly at 80+ degF in Phoenix, AZ.....

Deadman, I put 89.5 grains of H1000 behind the 210 bergers, lit by a Win LRM. Out of a 28" Broughton @3000fps and consistantly shoots 3 shot groups at or under one inch at 300Yards.

Coyboy:
What types of pressures are you seeing? Just a guess (no quickload data), but wouldn't you be well over 65,000? My rifle may go boom out the back instead of the front. I think that's the magical number for a factory Remy...

The highest psi I've seen loading data for was like 64K from 86 grains of H1000.

Hodgdons web-site list 89 grains as max for the 220 grain bullet so 89.5 is not out of line with the 210. I believe when I called a Hodgdon tech he said 90 was max with the 210.
I'm using Nosler brass and people claim it's soft but I'm on my 3rd reload and the primer pockets have not opened up and no ejector marks show on the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.