Load testing question

Millet

Hello, Just started reloading and I'm working on putting a varmint load together for my 243. win. using H414 powder. Would it be a bad idea to test my load in 25 - 30 deg. when I'll be hunting in 50-80 deg. weather. Will the cold temp. interfere with accuracy or not? I do not have a chrono. I'm using H414 powder? Any thoughts I would appreciate!

Here is what I do. I work up loads that I hunt with in the early spring and also in the fall when not hunting if need be at about the same temps that I hunt in 20-45 degrees. I like to get as much velocity as I can with accuracy so the loads are usually right at the top. Now during the summer70-100 degrees I take the same load and bullet and back if off some. I shoot through a chronograph so I have a pretty good idea what's going on with the load and can match the velocity (somewhat) to the same loads velocity in the colder temps.

I don't care what anyone says if you have a hot load at 30 degrees and use that same load at 90 degrees it's really hot no matter what the powder so pay attention.

Millet, H414 is not one of Hodgdon's Extreme powders which are much more impervious of temp extremes. My son uses H4350 for his .243 with excellent results and it is an Extreme powder. We live in the desert and hunt coyotes in the higher elevations which is much cooler. We test loads like Kcebc in similar weather as we hunt. Since H4350 is very hard to find, use the H414, just try to keep it from too extreme temps. You probably won't have any problems. Be safe, good luck

I have loaded heavier for caliber bullets in the 243Win with IMR4350 which is fairly temp stable, but for the lighter (58 grain V-max) I have used H4895 which is one of Hodgdon's extreme propellants. It is really an accurate combination and is fairly stable also. I have shot the varmint bullets in cold and 95-100 degrees with hardly any difference in POI. I have never used H414 in anything and therefore don't have a comment about it.

Thanks for the info. That answers my question. So if i wait till it warms up to test my load and then towards summer I might have to back the powder down some. My problem is I don't have a chrono. I guess I'll have to really keep my eyes open for pressure signs as it warms up. Thanks again, Millet

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.