Load for 300 Winchester Short Magnun

Dr Trot

I just purchased a Savage model 16 bolt action rifle in a 300 WSM. I will soon be working up a load and was just wondering if anyone has this same rifle/caliber combo and if so what loads work in their rifle. I am most interested in the 165 - 180 gr slugs but am interested hearing about any that have proven accurate. Thanks Kurt.

I've had a Savage Mod 16 in .300WSM for a little over a year now. I think you'll be pleased with it.

The load I took hunting this fall is 67.0gr of RL22 under a Combined Technologies 180gr Ballistic tip, lit by CCI large rifle magnum primers. I started with Winchester brass and was shooting about .75" at 100yd. Changed to Norma brass and it went down to .50". One round through the shoulders at 275yd was an instant stopper on a big pronghorn doe.

If you have the plastic stock, be sure to hog the foreend out pretty good if you freefloat it, because a hard squeeze of your front hand or the weight of the gun on a bipod can bend the plastic enough to touch the barrel. A skim bed around the pillar contact points and recoil lug seems to help too.

Thanks Jerry. I tried the 67.0 of the reloader 22 in Winchester brass. Used a 180gr Sierra Gameking and a Win Magnum LRP and it shot just under one inch at 100 yards. This will get me by until I have time to try some other loads. Thanks. Kurt.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.