Load advice for 168 Berger?

85.0 gr of Retumbo and a 215M put them out at 3350 fps from a 32" bbl. Makes one nice little hole. I ran it all the way to 93.0 gr with no change in accuracy but was opening up primer pockets after two firings.
As always.. start low and work your way up.

Well I tried a few rounds of 168Gr. VLD's yesterday and was pretty unhappy with the results. I did not try any Retumbo, but I picked some up today along with some R-25, but have nopt had a chance to try them out. I did try H1000, AA8700, 50 BMG. Out of these three the 50 BMG did the best with a 3/4" 3 shot group. The other two powders did not seem to be the ticket. I loaded a few more 50 BMG and 168's to confirm that this was not a fluke group, and will try them sometime soon along with the R-25 and the Retumbo.
The opne thing that I failed to mention is that I am only using one seating depth, 3.600, witch is max that will fit in my magazine. This is a long range deer rifle and the importance of a 2nd and even a third, is a necessity. I understand theat the Berger's like to be up against the lands so this may be hurting me.
If you have any ideas or advice please reply.

Specs of my rifle:
7MM UM
27" Pac Nor Sendero taper, fluted, SS.
Gunsmith work done by Brad Stair @ Performance Guns.
HS Sendero Stock
Jewell Trigger set at 1.5lbs

Thanks

RidgeRooster

RidgeRooster, If you email Walt Berger he will send you his data for the 168 and your gun. I love the 168 VLD in my 300 Win Mag. After trying several, I went with Ramshot Magnum. My gun loves the combination.
Good Luck.
Tim G

Ridge,

I failed to mention that my rifle is a single shot, and I put the Bergers right on the lands. 3.875 in my rifle.
In an attempt to reduce pressure with full tilt loads of 93 gr of Retumbo, I tried to seat the Bergers away from the lands. Accuracy diminished.
So I kept them on and backed down on the powder charge.
I ended up with very acceptable accuracy for a long range ghog rifle.
You may want to put them on the lands, see how they shoot, and at what velocity, and work from there.
Just my .02 cents.

Tried 50 BMG again this evening, did not do very well. I also tried some R-25 with the same unsatisfactory results. I am begining to see that they need to be seated closer to the lands, but for my intended purposes, that would do me no good. I will try some Retumbo before I give up, at Max COL for my magazine.

Maybe I have already shot the riflings out of this thang!!!!

RidgeRooster

For hunting use and the best accuracy could you work up some loads that are to long for your mag. and if they shoot better take 2 or 3 of those longer loads with you hunting and hand feed them in the chamber. They could be marked with a perm. marker to know the diff. If the point of impact wasnt to much diff. the normal coal bullets could be put below it in the magazine. Just a thought, Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.