Limited Entry Utah Bull @ 834 yards.

Thank you! The fact is, we knew we'd have issues getting close. The day before my opener we checked my rig at 700 and 1,100 yards, as well as chronograph readings at the same altitude these elk are hanging out. So I had actual velocities, at altitude, temperature, and humidity. I programmed my KILO2400ABS with this data that night. I took every precaution to ensure I didn't have to cut my tag on a wounded bull. Walt Berger said 1,800 is the minimum velocity for my 210 VLD hunting bullets, so 1,200 yards was the longest shot I was going to take. I was hoping for a close shot. I didn't go into this looking for a pat on the back, I wanted my bull. I prepared for this hard for the past 4 months, so I fail to see anything unethical about taking my bull within parameters I know full well I can put an elk down. My $.02
I guided for years, had hunters from all over the USA. Quite a few had there new "Magnum" whatever that they purchased just for this hunt. When having them shoot their "Magnum" before going out, we, the other guides and myself, would just shake our heads. Now these so called hunters were the "unethical" ones out hunting. What bcstoneram did was anything but! He prepared like heck, was able to afford top notch equipment, and had the patience and brains to put it all together and was rewarded with a fantastic trophy! Congratulations guy! I'd hunt with you anytime!

View attachment 395953
After 40 years of dreaming and applying, I got my chance last weekend. We came out heavy. The bulls were really Leary of calls and we were able to get within 834.2 yards and my .300 RUM did the job. I'm so relieved that I was able to get it done after all those years of applying and patience.
I just P___ in my shorts, Great Bull so happy for you

View attachment 395953
After 40 years of dreaming and applying, I got my chance last weekend. We came out heavy. The bulls were really Leary of calls and we were able to get within 834.2 yards and my .300 RUM did the job. I'm so relieved that I was able to get it done after all those years of applying and patience.
Like to hear more about your shot, shots, bullet and load, kind of terrain, up hill , down hill, or whatever you were in, we all love to hear the stories. What a great bull, wish I had a roast from him. lol

I guided for years, had hunters from all over the USA. Quite a few had there new "Magnum" whatever that they purchased just for this hunt. When having them shoot their "Magnum" before going out, we, the other guides and myself, would just shake our heads. Now these so called hunters were the "unethical" ones out hunting. What bcstoneram did was anything but! He prepared like heck, was able to afford top notch equipment, and had the patience and brains to put it all together and was rewarded with a fantastic trophy! Congratulations guy! I'd hunt with you anytime!
Thank you for recognizing my efforts. As you know, this all started months before the hunt opener. I have been shooting quite frequently at longer ranges for quite a while, and have got that tool in my bag of tricks only for instances like this one. Bulls did not respond in a positive way to calls, cow calls, or bugles. In fact, it pushed them further away. I had a guide that knew all of this, and he came prepared with his .28 Nosler, chronograph, and had the steel set up at 700 and one over a 1k. We both shot the day before at the same altitude we planned on seeing the bulls on with both rifles, in case something happened to my rifle. I have the video of the bullet trace on my 700 yard target, from his phone scope. So he trusted me. I had hoped for a much closer encounter. So those of you who think I waited for him to get beyond 300 yards so I could post this, we'll..... you're flat *** wrong! I had no other chances to fill my tag, except the brief glimpse I had of him in a tiny pocket at the edge of his bedding area. I had elevation on him where I was at, and had I been on his level, I'd not seen him. It just worked out for me that way.

Attachments

• F6ABBF85-3A66-4337-9A30-CDDB500A076B.jpeg
    F6ABBF85-3A66-4337-9A30-CDDB500A076B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 650A26CA-61FA-4D83-B061-0D5C1978299F.jpeg
    650A26CA-61FA-4D83-B061-0D5C1978299F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 46