Lightweight Rifle Build

AZ82New

I build a couple rifles a year and what I'm dreaming up is an ultralight rifle. I bought a Sako 85 carbon light in 308 last year but sold it because of these drawbacks:

-The recoil was snappy and I could not spot my shots

- Accuracy was good for a factory rifle but nothing amazing.

……in that vein, it was a hassle to work up a load for it because after 3-5 shots with a that thin little barrel groups started opening up. Also, it was picky. I was limited on what bullets it liked.

- .308 is a great, efficient cartridge. However, the ballistics are not ideal. After 400 yards, it really starts running out of energy. Not to mention bullet drop and wind drift.

In short, I would always grab one of my heavier custom rifles to go hunting. A lot of work goes into finding a game animal, I want to be confident when it's time to take the shot.

On the plus side, that rifle is absolutely as nice (or even nicer!!) in its fit, finish and feel as any custom I own. Sako's, that one in particular, are absolutely superb. Also, it was hands down the best rifle I have ever tried to carry in the "field". Not that I actually hunted with it but I did haul it around to see how it would do. It's so light (5.4 lbs), comes up to the shoulder nicely and carries in one hand effortlessly that I desperately wanted it to work. Still do.

So here are the parameters I'm thinking:

1. 6lbs or less.
2. Carbon barrel (this will add some weight over a thin steel barrel BUT will shoot better with a wider array of bullets)
3. 22-24 inch barrel. A longer barrel will give better velocity and will have less muzzle flip.
4. Light recoil so I can spot shots but still have enough punch for heavier game to 500 yards or so.

Calibers I'm considering:
25 SST
6.5 SS, PRC or Max
7mm-08 or SAW

I'm leaning towards 7mm SAW using Alpha brass. I think I could get a 150 to 2,900-3,000 fps in a 22inch barrel.

I can weigh out a bunch of components and make this work on paper but my experience has been that this approach doesn't always translate into the whole package feeling right in your hands.

So who has some feedback for me that has gone down this road,

If you're driving a 150 to 3000 in the sub 6 lb rifle it's going to be snappy no matter what you do.... unless you like brakes or cans.

These days most stock patterns can be had in an ultra light carbon shell, that being your primary interface should make shouldering it easier if you have a pattern you already like. It's tough to balance an ultra light rifle, Especially considering a 22 to 24 inch In most of the carbon Contours is still going to be over three pounds. That would have you chasing manners Ultra carbon stock and probably a skeleti acton to hit that weight goal with a trigger, and mag box. If you like muzzle prominent setups, it should be fairly straight forward.

I'd be trending towards 6.5 cal moderate rounds like the prc.

You're unrealistic with your goals.

For starters, any of your options are going to be just as snappy as your 308 was in a lightweight gun. Anything but a 223 or something similar is going to have some recoil in a lightweight rifle unless you run a brake or a can. Even my Kimber Montana 243 had a punch.

You'll also find that many lightweight barrels are going to open up after 5 rounds or so, it's even pretty typical with heavy profile carbon barrels in chamberings that burn a lot of powder. A hunting rifle doesn't need to be able to shoot 10 shot strings without opening up, if you can't get it done within 5 shots then I can tell you right now that any thermal shift isn't going to hinder you worse than your own shooting ability. As far as doing load development, you've gotta wait for any barrel to cool for best results. Have you ever used a good CF barrel and seen how long they take to cool back down?

My Seekins Element 7 PRC weighs just under 6lbs naked and in an 8lbs configuration is very nice to shoot with the brake. It's the easy button for a lightweight rifle.

Pierce skeleti, pick a carbon barrel you like(I don't like em for hunting, they add too much weight so can't help you there), but thread it 5/8 for a brake or suppress, timney or triggertech whichever you prefer, echelon versa stock. These are light and have some negative comb to help with the recoil. Trijicon credo 2.5-15x42. 7SAW, but even then you still won't be able to spot shots with that one and no brake/suppress and sub 6lbs hunting weight. So on that end something like the sico sycthe-ti or the ab raptor 6 or 8.

If you want to go no brake/supress in a sub 6lb all up gun and spot shots look at something more like 6cm, or even 22cm.

Last edited:
This is what I have and trying to shed more weight. 5.08ozs to be exact, but will go to 6# with optic. I have managed to get a lite recoiling 308win 22" m118 chamber w/brake using m80 ammo. My 15.5# 243win AR kicks harder than 308win of 2/3 the weight. Smaller caliber doesn't create an answer. Lighter bullet going faster will tho as I've built many that way.

Attachments

• 20240329_191438.jpg
    20240329_191438.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 198
This is what I have and trying to shed more weight. 5.08ozs to be exact, but will go to 6# with optic. I have managed to get a lite recoiling 308win 22" m118 chamber w/brake using m80 ammo. My 15.5# 243win AR kicks harder than 308win of 2/3 the weight. Smaller caliber doesn't create an answer. Lighter bullet going faster will tho as I've built many that way.
Well, less recoil will come with less muzzle pressure.

Last edited:
Proof has a barrel weight chart, 22" 7mm barrel is just shy of 3lbs on its own. Doesn't leave a lot to play with.
That light the gun had better be balanced. If it ends up 6lbs and barrel heavy it will still be a pain to carry on the woods.
I've only shot one NULA owned by a friend in 7-08, Mr Forbes had that design dialed in, gun came straight back and didn't "flip". I would look for a used one or take a chance on Wilson Combats newer iterations.

Is that an AR build?
BB

Just buy a Weatherby backcountry in 6.5 Creedmoor (factory ammo is super accurate) or even 338 RPM (if you want ammo to be hard to find). Save weight in other gear and stop trying to cut ounces off an already light rifle. It's too expensive to make sense when you're already under seven lbs.

I have a new 20" Proof 6.5 Max prefit for Defiance (Ruckus, Renegade, Tenacity, Classic, anTi and anTi X) barrel, 50pc virgin brass and dies for sale. Barrel was chambered by Straight Jacket Armory. 1-8t Sendero profile.
I decided to have a 7prc chambered instead to run factory ammo cause I don't want to fire form, no time.
It's at the gunsmith now and was going to get torqued on my action soon but I called him yesterday with my change of plans so I need to go get it from him.
I can shoot over some pics if you'd like

Take your pick and put a brake on it if it doesn't have one (there are other options just a quick article I found). Rifles at this weight are going to have recoil at the cost of weight. In a hunting rifle (most realistic reason to have a lite gun) spotting shots is pretty pointless in my mind. Goal is one shot flop so I think you need to be realistic and decide what you want and live with the pros and cons of the rifle that fits your true needs. If your looking for a multipurpose gun, there will need to be concessions you take, only you can pick which are the most important to you.

Last edited:
It is very difficult to make the shot with a 6 lb rifle off the bench much less in the field. I have two 7-08's that are good enough shooters, but I'm not completely confident i can make the shot with them under field conditions. I have 4 other rifles is the 7 - 7 3/4 lb range - scope sling and loaded that I take to the field when I know shots will be above 200 yds.

You can pick components for weight fairly easily.

Proof barrels chambered and threaded
22" Sendero is 45oz
22" Sendero Light is 42-43oz
24" Sendero is 47oz

Bartlein barrels
WTO did a 24" #13 in a 7 SAW that finished exactly 3 lbs (48oz). Bartlein has a weight chart on their site for carbons in 6.5mm caliber so a 7mm barrel will be a little lighter but less than 1 oz difference. Pick your length and knock off 0.4 lbs for your final weight.

Actions
Pierce SkeleTi is 15.9oz
Pure Precision Skltn Ti is 16.0oz
Pure Precision Skltn Stainless is 21.0oz
Defiance anTi is 20.6oz

Hawkins Hunter DBM is 5.4oz
Add 1.9-2.0oz for your trigger.

Stocks
Peak 44 Blacktooth is ~19oz
Manners UC-Plus is ~20-21oz
Add 1-2oz for bedding material

All that gets you in the 90-96oz or 5.6-6.0 lbs

Good luck with getting it to shoot like you want.