Lightweight AR10?

Carlos88

Anyone build one? I'd like to have one in .260 Rem or 7mm-08 at 7lbs or less (not including mounts and glass). 20" barrel would be a minimum. 6x42 Leupold, Aero lightweight mount or maybe some Warne high lightweight rings.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, links, etc to get started.

I built one in 308 with a 16" faxon barrel and ultralight 3-9 leupy scope that weighs in at less than 7 pounds with optics .

I think I paid just under 1k, has cf buttstock and :braided handguard, titanium bcg, no door or fa on the upper. It can be done but costs time and $ they kick hard so be prepared or add a good mb
20190311_071228.jpg

I built one in 308 with a 16" faxon barrel and ultralight 3-9 leupy scope that weighs in at less than 7 pounds with optics .

I think I paid just under 1k, has cf buttstock and :braided handguard, titanium bcg, no door or fa on the upper. It can be done but costs time and $ View attachment 297645

That is a beautiful rig and priced closer to what I would want. What upper and lower did you use?

It could be lighter, but I had a money cap so I really shopped for weight vs value to build this rig. .... ounces are big bucks once you get to the 6- 7 pound range, I know a guy that built one around 5.5 pounds but he almost doubled my cost to drop that last pound or so

Anyone build one? I'd like to have one in .260 Rem or 7mm-08 at 7lbs or less (not including mounts and glass). 20" barrel would be a minimum. 6x42 Leupold, Aero lightweight mount or maybe some Warne high lightweight rings.

FWIW…You might try giving Compass Lake Engineering a call. Frank White is building AR-10's. He's proficient gunsmith with this platform.

I'd definitely make a spreadsheet before buying any parts and put down the weight for each part. Ounces add up fast. Most manufacturers list their weights. I have all the misc weights if you need any. Helps to know before you start as some places are cheaper to save money than others. The 20" barrel may be the hard part. Wilson Combat sells light-ish barrels in off calibers for AR-10s.

My AR10 is mostly aero precision with a Lilja barrel (AR10740 - 2.7#) weighs 10.5# with optics (18 oz) and mag. As others have said, shaving weight adds $$$ but ounces add up to pounds. Good luck with your build.

A friend of mine asked me to put together a parts list for a lightweight AR 10 last summer. He never did build it but this is what I came up with:
AR10 Parts List

Would have been right around 7lbs before scope. It's pretty tough to get much less than that and still have full functionality depending on what you're wanting to do with it.

ROAM Rifles

Might look into this crowd's products. Magnesium AR 10 uppers and lowers. They claim to have the alloy right and it's the lightest receiver set on the market. They have full rifles too but building them is way cooler to me.

Recent Posts