Lightening up a wood laminate stock...

jmden

If this has been asked before, I apologize. I didn't see anything with a quick search.

I've got a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM and was wondering if anyone has cut out some of the buttstock to reduce weight. Is there enough strength left with a heavy recoiling rifle? How much to cut out? Is it worth doing at all? Etc., ect. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

I've milled out the barrel channel of a few stocks and dropped a little bit of their their , you can also remove your recoil pad and drill a couple deep holes in the back of the stock to help remove some weight.
Unless you go with to big of a bit in the rear or go to deep then the butt should be strong enough.
All in all i don't realy think that the work involved is worth the risk of messing up the stock for only a few ounces maybe half a pound.
Have a look at HighTech Specialties stocks , they only weigh about 25oz.

This is what I ended up doing:

448876-big.jpg

I cut about 2.5" of dead weight off the forestock and took the chunk out of the buttstock. Also took off the stock recoil pad and added a Limsaver. Seems to shoot great, but it does seem to reoil more as I was getting nailed by the scope more than I have before--had to adjust my shooting style a bit. However, first impresssions are that the Limsaver lessens the felt recoil.

Wish I knew where to get them but I don't--might call Stoney Point as those came with the Stoney Point MOA turrets. I figured I'd leave 'em on since they seal pretty well to keep dust and moisture out and I can see through to the markings and move turrets just fine with them on.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.