Lightening up a wood laminate stock...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmden, Oct 23, 2006.

1. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

If this has been asked before, I apologize. I didn't see anything with a quick search.

I've got a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM and was wondering if anyone has cut out some of the buttstock to reduce weight. Is there enough strength left with a heavy recoiling rifle? How much to cut out? Is it worth doing at all? Etc., ect. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

I've milled out the barrel channel of a few stocks and dropped a little bit of their their , you can also remove your recoil pad and drill a couple deep holes in the back of the stock to help remove some weight.
    Unless you go with to big of a bit in the rear or go to deep then the butt should be strong enough.
    All in all i don't realy think that the work involved is worth the risk of messing up the stock for only a few ounces maybe half a pound.
    Have a look at HighTech Specialties stocks , they only weigh about 25oz.

3. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

This is what I ended up doing:

[​IMG]

I cut about 2.5" of dead weight off the forestock and took the chunk out of the buttstock. Also took off the stock recoil pad and added a Limsaver. Seems to shoot great, but it does seem to reoil more as I was getting nailed by the scope more than I have before--had to adjust my shooting style a bit. However, first impresssions are that the Limsaver lessens the felt recoil.

4. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

What did you use to make the scope turret cover?

5. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Wish I knew where to get them but I don't--might call Stoney Point as those came with the Stoney Point MOA turrets. I figured I'd leave 'em on since they seal pretty well to keep dust and moisture out and I can see through to the markings and move turrets just fine with them on.