Light Weight Scope

Lots of choices with about as many opinions. If you do a search, you will get many hits on this subject AND it is so subjective. The only thing I can say is stick with the top 3 or 4 in your decision and you will be happy.

Agree that more info would be helpful. For 1000 yds I personally want at least 15x, and 18x is better. I use Leupold's in both the VX5 HD 3-15x44 and VX6 HD 3-18x44 configurations. There are lots of scopes that are lighter, but not that I would really trust at 1000 yds.

Last edited:
In high quality, dependable and lightweight the top 2 choices are Leupold and Swarovski. It would be our pleasure to discuss options with you

Never ouned a Swarovski scope, I have severial Leupold scopes. What would you recommend?

It should be mandatory that a poster include parameters such as power, FFP/SFP, weight, reticle, tube size, W/E travel, zero stop, etc. He did state price and that's it.
There are hundreds of "What scope should I get ?" threads on here that you can search(and read and learn) then make a great decision.
Len should make it a "sticky" in this section.

Totally.

For my lightweight rifles I have upgraded from leupy vx3's and Zeiss Diatal/diavari to Vortex Razor LH's. I have a couple 1.5-8's and a 3-15x42.

3-15x42 is a great lightweight scope at 16oz. It tracks well, but I would look at Zeiss V4 and Leupold VX5hd if you like to dial, clicks are way more positive, but they weigh a few oz more.

Night Force is advertising a scope that weighs 2.5 ounces. Don't have one, never seen one but if it really exists and it isn't just a typo, spoof or fake news, that is going to be the lightest scope I ever heard of. For lightweight and good magnification I like the Swaro Z5 series. Hard to beat a scope that weighs less than a pound and goes to 18 or 25 power.

Last edited:
Night Force is advertising a scope that weighs 2.5 ounces. Don't have one, never seen one but if it really exists and it isn't just a typo, spoof or fake news, that is going to be the lightest scope I ever heard of. For lightweight and good magnification I like the Swaro Z5 series. Hard to beat a scope that weighs less than a pound and goes to 18 or 25 power.

What? No they aren't. Maybe you are thinking of the 2.5-20x50 NX8? It's 27-28 oz though.

For a completely weight focused build - I go with the Leupold VX-2 CDS Ultralight 3-9x33 if memory serves me correctly it's about 9 oz. You may need to search the pre-owned/reseller marked to find one of these.

Next would be the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm CDS, weighing 13 oz

Stepping up in optics and weight I like the Swarovski Z series. Z3 4-12x50 BT weighs 14.5 oz

All of the models I mentioned have a quick adjust turret, but you can get them all without. I've been happy with all three on hunting setups to 500 yards. Good luck! Keep us posted on what you decide.

I have a leupold bc 6 3-18x50 and it is 20oz. Excellent scope. I like the sightron stac and s3 scopes too. Others mentioned swaro but Ziess also makes a nice light long range capable scope

I own every type of scope from high end German optics to good quality "'mercan" stuff. I now am loving the Viper Vortex 4-16 X 44 HS-T for the purpose you describe. For a bit more the Leopold VX6 HD 3-18 X 44 is very nice too. Lightweight, good quality and affordable. Maybe not best for long range competition shooting/hunting but very good for 500 yds and the occasional practice at 1000 yds...we do exactly that all the time--between myself and son and biz partner we have 6 Vipers and two VX6.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.