Light weight scope question

Swarovski Z5 with ballistic turret. 15.9 ounces and you won't find clearer glass. I have this scope with a BRX reticle on my 6.5-284 and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The BRH reticle may be more desireable for larger game.

Get this... I snagged a old Leopold VX-2, coin turn turret and a regular duplex reticle, off a lever action and put it on a Steyr Pro Hunter. The dang thing only weighs 12 ounces and so long as I remember to put a nickle in my pocket, I can dial this rinky-dink set up right in @ 500 yards. Probably further but I haven't gone past that on that gun. Simple, light and it works well enough. I have other scopes I should probably put in it but I kinda like that it's just 12 ounces. Clicks are terrible and you need the hands of a safe cracker to feel them but hey... it's 12 ounces!

The Swarovski Z5 has 1/4" clicks and Swarovski can make ballistic turrets for 1/4" clicks/yards.

If weight is of utmost importance go for Swarovski Z3 or Z5.
If you are happy to take a little more weight the VX5/VX6 Leupolds offer excellent features and glass for a reasonable price.

I haven't been following my own post! Lots of good comments here guys. As to weight it's a self imposed limit. I want to keep the gun light and trim, and I like the big field of view some of the them offer at lowest setting. Right now I'm favoring the lupy vx6hd 2-12 with tmoa reticle. Close behind are the nightforce 2.5-10x42 and the Swarovski 3-18. Their brx? reticle will show 2 moa hash marks at 15.5 magnification. This would hands down be the winner with true moa turrets. Never used a ballistic turret, so don't know if I can get minute of marmot accuracy at longer ranges or not. I used to shoot a very accurate Kimber Montana with a Zeiss Conquest 4-14. It balanced well and I shot it well out past 500 yards.

I'd say the VX6 2-12 is in your wheel house. I don't know much at all about the Swaro's other than they make top end stuff.

If you're willing to go just beyond the 16 ounce limit, look at the VX6 3-18 with the TMOA retical. It's an MOA retical / turret scope with zero lock and an available illuminated retical.

I've looked at the VX6 3-18. Going to a 20 oz scope is not a deal breaker. I've only had one lupy in the past and the turrets weren't up to snuff. That's my hesitation with leupold.

I've ran mine to 600 yards about back to zero with no issues. No extreme range or testing but they've worked for me. I've also checked cold bore at 600 and it will ring steel.

My only complaint about them and all turret equipped Lupy's is the lack of a real positive click when dialing. It's just something I've accepted.

I handled a VX5 and 6 and the turrets clicked stronger than I expected. I've been reading good reports on these HD model turrets. It seems all of the questionable ones have been about the older versions of these scopes. I'll admit to being spoiled by my SB and NF scopes. Swarovski is known for their optics but I've read enough less than stellar reports on their turrets to make me hesitant.

I'm pretty easy on equipment myself but adamant about good turrets. If the 15 power NF wasn't so big and heavy it would be an easy choice.

I have all three of the scopes in question. For me the NF is the one to get the first thumbs down because of the weight and decreased field of view at distance. Between the Z5 and the VX6: The Z5 has as its greatest advantage the lower weight. I have the VX6 in 3-18 so the magnifications are comparable for both and both can be had with ballistic turrets so again comparable. The click adjustments are good with both with the Z5 a slight bit more positive. One of my VX6 has the B&C reticle which I like, in addition I like the slightly heavier cross hairs. All of these rifles are for mountain hunting only. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Lupe or Swarovski. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.