Light rifle vs lose body weight

Haven't read all the posts so I'm not sure if this has been broached. I think that how remote you hunt MAY also helps determine the weight of the rifle, not just how much you want to carry or to be accurate. Lived and hunted in Alaska for over 35 years. In the early 80's when I hunted off of the road systems I didn't care how heavy the rifle was. But EVERYTHING changed when I found a spot on the south side of the Brooks Range and had a hunting camp for 10 years. I'd drive hundreds of miles to Fairbanks. Fly from Fairbanks to the village. Then boat 3 hours up river to the spike camp for 10 days. If you've got 2-5 other people with you, they're gear and heavy rifles, it is a load and WILL cost you extra money on your charter plane: $4-$9 per pound. Then there's humping through muskeg tundra with a pack and rifle while hunting. The muskeg has gaps in-between the hummocks that will break your ankle or your knee. We also carry packs to hunt cause you WILL have to carry out your meat. So don't shoot anything further from camp then you want to carry it. Point is there's always a choice to be made. I had an awesome left hand Browning A-Bolt .338 with a 12 power Leupold. Loved that rifle and it weighed 14 pounds. So plus rifle, pack, back up pistol, food, water, blades, rain gear, extra jacket, etc, it was a pretty good load to carry around for 5-10 miles a day. Not even gonna get into the pain that came when you shot a moose, caribou, black or brown bear. In the end, I compromised and didn't carry binoculars, got a smaller/thinner skinning knife, got a lighter pack, starting using MRE's, got water purification filters and affixed the rifle to my pack so the weight was on my back. It has worked for years and years and I still carry the same ole heavy rifle...

Carrying excess weight whether its body fat or a heavy rifle is still excess weight and the body has to compensate for this weight.

When it comes to mountain hunting I have heard the same thing many times from hunters saying I will have no problems carrying my 12lb. rifle all day every day and in the end one of two things happens. Some only last a few days before they make excuses that they have to leave only to never return or they make it the full hunt but at the end they make the comment I need a lighter rifle.

Now this being said there are plenty of hunts that carrying a heavy rifle is not a big deal as long as the hunter is in hunting shape. Hunting shape is not weight strength / shape. To get in hunting shape do hunting movements with a weighted pack.

This short video mentions excess body weight.

Losing body weight doesn't help you carry or lift more. Hence why you try to gain weight when body building (muscle gains). Lifting more with less fat doesn't make you athletic or give you endurance. Half the people on here appear to be on verge of death by old age... I don't think dudes in their 60s give a crap enough to go do burpees in the morning, CrossFit in the afternoon and split a lift session at night to shoot their rifle.
Actually, some of us do exactly that. I pass on Burpees - don't need the empty calories, pass on cross fit - to much intense cardio for me at stage in my life. However, I do walk regularly for a cardio boost and so I can go cross country in the field without getting winded or falling from lack of balance. I do lift, and on a split routine so I can carry stuff as I go cross country, including my rifle. Some seem to forget that this IS a new and different world, and many most of the old ways of thinking have changed. For instance, I also hold my own with online video gaming, and looking forward to the newest iteration of COD, coming day after tomorrow (Oct 25) so don't count the "old guys out!

Today's society....we want everything and don't want to sacrifice much. Spend time researching what you want to do buy. **** near all of us spend too much time on the internet, use this time wisely. If it has the word "magnum" in it and weighs 6pounds. Chances are it will hammer you just as hard as the target you are shooting at. I'm lucky to have multiple platforms to play with. And some times I actually choose the most reasonable one to take for the conditions. Can't complain about it because I'm the idiot choosing it.

I find it comical that there is so much push back on this subject. People defend their rifle weight and shame anyone on the other side of the issue. Truth is I don't care how much you are willing to carry or not and you shouldn't care about what I am willing to carry. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. At my age and my physical fitness level I would rather carry a heavier rifle that I have absolute confidence in. In fact I only own two rifles that have anything less than a sendero barrel contour and both still weigh 10lbs or more. I don't think most hunting is done out of a spike camp deep in the mountains anyway. I have dreams of hunting like this, but most of my hunting happens within 5 miles of my truck. If you are only 5 miles away why do you need anything more than a rifle, binos, rangefinder and a knife? when I'm still hunting or in thick cover are the only times my rifle is in my hand for an extended period of time. I usually carry my rifle by a sling anyway And these biathlon slings make the weight of the rifle just disappear. If you have ever put on a pack with only 10 lbs in it you don't even realize it is there. My eberlestock mainframe weighs 5lbs empty. Why does a rifle need to be the light weight piece of gear? I would rather go through all my other gear cutting weight before drilling holes in my rifle to save ounces. Unless of course those holes made my rifle look cooler;)

I also was a world record level powerlifter (class: lifetime drug-free, raw) but age affects performance like gravity affects POI. Still, many young disciples have a hard time keeping up with me in the mud and weeds of the duck swamp so I suppose I should count my blessings. Fitness is IMPORTANT. And, does 2" more barrel length contribute that much more (%)to the total weight of all the gear?

Well, after reading this post I'm not sure whether to be encouraged or discouraged.im 75. I've lost 40 lbs over the last two years I moved from south central Washington to Idaho. My hunting went from rolling farm land and some hilly woods they called mountains to straight uphill out my back door. I only have one rifle less than 8 1/2 lbs. Most are in the 9 1/2 to 10 1/2 lbs. And if I don't charge uphill like I was taking a stronghold, I'm fine. I've even chosen to hike vs using the 4 wheeler. Personally, I'm encouraged. Two years ago I was out of breath walking across the street (sarcasm). I guess what I'm trying to say is that fitness (as has been said) comes in many forms and I'm feeling good about my own condition as it relates to living. And that it makes hunting more fun is a bonus. So do it for you and those you love so you'll be around longer. Oh yea, enjoy the hunt too.

Dfan, I have to slightly disagree. My wife and I do xfit. She is much more serious than I am and better :) I had surgery a couple years ago(detached pec) and was out for almost 2 years. Since, I lost 20 lbs, I'm back to old weights (dumb) and feel great packing all day. Weight is weight in my opinion. Whether I pack my ultra light creedmoor or my 13lb edge, the body doesn't care like it did 20 lbs ago. But, to each their own.
I thought slings were for heavy rifles. I even slinged the 870 shotgun. Everything I have has a sling. weight problem managed.

I had posted a rifle for sale the other day and got numerous questions as to the weight of the rifle. It got me thinking "why do people always want the latest possible rifle? "
Opinion: If you are new to long range hunting do not get caught up in getting the lightest possible rifle. It is proven that the heavier the rifle the more accurate it is. So if you're looking for the most accurate hunting rifle don't try to get the lightest but maybe look into losing a little bit of body weight or packing a little less in your pack. Flame suit on :)

My preference is something in the 7-11lb range, I consider 7lb to be a feather and don't need anything lighter. I wouldn't want a magnum under 9lbs and will happily hunt all day with a 11lb rifle in hand.

df...,
Well, at 76 I DO "give a crap" about fitness. As a former cross country ski racer and bicycle racer I have been staying fit since those days so I could backpack, backcountry and alpine ski at altitudes above 8,000 ft.

My Bowflex and free weights plus hikes in my Las Vegas area mountains with a 30 lb. pack are what keep me going - well plus good genetics. "Ya gotta pick the right parents."

I may be "the exception" but many others could be too if they just get off the couch.
The saying, "I'd rather wear out than rust out." has a lot of meaning for me.

Eric B.
P.S. "What in the world (am I) going to do with the meat from an elk or mulie?" My new answer to multiple trips out with a pack is a TREK Superfly 5 electric bike which I'll be getting in a few months.
E-bikes have recently been permitted on Forest Service, BLM and National Parks lands that permit mountain bikes per an order from the Secretary of the Interior.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.