Light fast vs Heavy slower bullets

snox801

So I posted in a different section but think I didn't say it right so here goes.
what are your thoughts on non lead, long light high velocity vs lead heavy weights.
Here is my example. 6x45 caliber. I currently shoot the heavy 95 gr bullets around 2500fps. (still building loads but this works well).
Now after doing some looking CEB makes a 55 gr raptor that will work with my twist rate that is about the same length as the 95gr I shoot. This is a bolt gun so I'm not limited to mag length like an ar.
So what are your thoughts, would a lighter faster bullet with this design work as well on deer as the 95. My range will be limited to the right conditions and probably not over 300 yards. When comparing there 338 bullets that are also lighter for the same length they claim more energy because of the speed. I believe I could push these at around 3200fps.

Thanks for your time

Run the numbers in the calculator and see how they come out. That is a very large difference in muzzle vel. It is true that the higher bc slower bullet will catch the lower bc bullet for drift and drop. The question is when. The other question is what is the terminal performance of each bullet at intended ranges.

This question sometimes turns into a heated debate. If it does not degrade this could be a very informative thread. I look forward to the following posts.

Steve

Yep...

First thing you need to know is the minimum velocity at which each bullet will expand and where it drops below 1,000-1,200 ft. lbs (deer power)...then figure out which one retains that velocity the farthest...its usually on the heavy end of the middle weights for a given caliber (or the light end of the heavy weights), but not the heaviest...don't pay any attention to what it does (drift) past the range where it drops below expansion velocity or power level, because past that its just a paper puncher.

I believe the above to be true for non-magnum rounds fired from 24" barrels...large capacity cases and/or 28" fast twist barrels bend the rules a bit, those favor the heavies.

Edit: Some may question 1,000 ft. lbs. for deer...I live in northeast TN, our deer ain't that big.

Thanks guys when I get a second I'll punch the numbers in and see. DDidn't think to do that for some reason, maybe the long days. But that will be a good place to start. Always leaned to the heavies cause they seem to have the higher bcs. If I remember correctly the CEB 55s have a high BC to. I will try to get on the calculating in the next few days and let you know what I get. If I gain some stopping power with the littles ill try some but they are a bit pricey.

Thanks guys when I get a second I'll punch the numbers in and see. DDidn't think to do that for some reason, maybe the long days. But that will be a good place to start. Always leaned to the heavies cause they seem to have the higher bcs. If I remember correctly the CEB 55s have a high BC to. I will try to get on the calculating in the next few days and let you know what I get. If I gain some stopping power with the littles ill try some but they are a bit pricey.

I have shot quite a few CEB's but not the Rators, you will find their BC's to be lacking (the Raptor I mean). I've personally shot light & fast for quite a while but i'll be the first to tell you, when you start to stretch the range, they don't do too hot. If you keep it in the short to medium range, I still prefer a light fast Mono.

t

Three things I would want to know before I made a decision either way.

1: Actual field tested proven BC's for the bullets compared.

2: Accurate muzzle velocities not assumptions for each bullet compared.

3: Actual field tested minimum velocity for each bullet to expand if one entered between the ribs into soft tissue.

Then,..... compare the drop and more importantly the wind drift and the answer for you chosen max hunting distance will be clear.

Jeff

Right on! and usually worth the price that comes with this.:)

Jeff
I also look at the bullet weight/ powder ratio. If I have a 200 grain bullet I really do not want to be pushing it with more than 100 grains of rifle powder in a full pressure load. Over the 2:1 ratio and it seems to take bores out rather fast. Some rifles I have will drop down to 1.5:1 (my 7rum with 50cal ball is 1.24:1 with a 140) with mid weight or lighter bullets; those get heavier pills thrown at them without any thought other than accuracy as I am very keen on getting decent bore life out of even my "overbore" calibers. If they can get to 1.5:1 they aren't going to be suffering on wind drift or drop anyway as long as the bullet has a decent bc..

All good points thanks again. This is probably a short range gun, I also ordered the 55s to compare. Just wondered if anyone had any first hand knowledge. As soon as I get the loads ladders and testing done ill strap on the magnetospeed and get some numbers.

I also prefer heavy and fast. just waiting on Kirby for my 338 AM. Lol

For short range rifles ill take the fast little bullet every time.

Less barrel time
Less recoil
Shorter leads
Flatter trajectory

Once we even start to lean to mid/long range gimmie the retarded fat one!

P.S. Dont wait to finish the ladder before strapping on the magneto speed. Those numbers can shed light on a lot that goes on during load development.

Three things I would want to know before I made a decision either way.

1: Actual field tested proven BC's for the bullets compared.

2: Accurate muzzle velocities not assumptions for each bullet compared.

3: Actual field tested minimum velocity for each bullet to expand if one entered between the ribs into soft tissue.

Then,..... compare the drop and more importantly the wind drift and the answer for you chosen max hunting distance will be clear.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff %100.

I would like to add, I shoot copper solids. Barnes and CEB and some COP for my field defense sidearm ($1,500 if your sidearm has lead or lead core, "hunting with lead").

So

I do a lot of load development with copper solids.

Yes, Copper will loose velocity faster, not because of BC per say but because of lower density.

I want to try the raptors but at the moment I'm sticking to the MTH.

IIWM I would choose a MTH the same length as your current and run it as fast as accuracy will allow.

I have have only taken game with the TSX, my buddy uses the TTSX in his 300RUM exclusively. I am his loader. No shot less than 300 yards and most 500 and beyond. Sunday may change that.

Hey thanks might just have to try out both. For the distance I'm shooting I don't think I could go wrong with either. I am having a break installed this week and being a 6x45 recoil will be nothing. Just want the fastest kill possible and lightest recoil. As I'm building it for a kids starter rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.