Lieca 800 vs 1200

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by joseywales, Jan 7, 2005.

1. joseywales

joseywales Active Member

What differences, besides yardage and perhaps cosmetics, is there between these two models?

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Initial purchase was the 1200 scan.

I am so pleased with it both ranging and optics that I have no desire to look at anything else.

I no longer carry binos

If the shorter ranging is sufficient, you most probably won't be able to range to 800 consistently, and $ are a consideration do a side by side comparison and you'll know the difference.

Just my tho'ts.

3. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

I have owned both and can't really say there is too much difference other than what you've already stated. I have kind of noticed the batteries running low sooner with the 1200, but I need to make more scientific experiments of this to really say.

4. Birth Controller2

Birth Controller2 Active Member

Hey Josie,

The main difference is the "scan" feature. It keeps you from doing the "shoot-read ... shoot-read" thing. You just hold the button down and it updates the yardage as you scan the hunting ground.

The other difference is, of course, 400 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I just picked up a Leica 800 off eBAY for $200. I don't shoot any farther than 5 - 600 yds, so it should serve me well.

Jason (JB1000br) is VERY pleased with his 800 ... his posts convinced me to get an 800 and save a little money.

The $200 was a freak case, I'd never thought that would happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

MikeTBC

[ QUOTE ]
    What differences, besides yardage and perhaps cosmetics, is there between these two models?

[/ QUOTE ]

5. joseywales

joseywales Active Member

That's what I'm thinking about the 800. I'll be patient and a good deal will come along. I just don't think I need the 1200 right now.