Leupold VX-L Target with BDC and Varmint reticule

Robbin

I've got a new VX-L 56mm Varmint reticule with the BDC reticules. I bought it for the awesome light gathering ability that mounts close to the scope for a good cheek weld. I didn't think much of the BDC reticules. I figured they really didn't work that well. I was VERY WRONG. Here is the actual drop vs the drop built into the scopes various reticules. I shoot a 25-06. The scope is a Leupold VX-L 6 to 20 power with a 56mm Objective lens, target turrents and a varmint reticule with built in BDC.

Range Actual drop in MOA Drop in MOA reticules with 200 yard zero
300 1.80 1.81
400 3.98 4.13
500 6.52 7.02
600 9.32 9.35

As you can see, the range that is off the worst is 500 yards and it's .5 MOA high. An MOA is 5.236 inches at 500 yards so the actual impact point is roughly 2.5 inches higher than the 500 yard cross hair. That is VERY COOL, you range them, put the right cross hair on them and pull the trigger. I've shot 3 inch groups with this gun and load at 400 yards and one 5 inch group with five shots spread out in 100 hard increments to 500 yards aiming dead at the bulls eye with the appropriate reticule. I did that just to prove to a buddy how close the reticules were to being dead on…

The MOA listed of the reticules is on the big triangle, you can adjust it by running the power up and down, get the correct setting for your load and mark your scope.

Now my step son has one and shoots a 300 RUM and the only way we could get it close was to use a 100 yard zero and shoot the main reticule at 100 and 200, then the 300 400 and 500 reticules were less than half an MOA off. That 300 RUM is the flattest shooting gun I've ever seen, but it KICKS like a mule.

Bottom line, I am truely amazed at just how good the BDC reticules work. The only problem is, I've got 5 nice rifles I like to shoot, and I **** sure can't afford to put one of these on every one of them, and it's the ONLY scope I want to shoot.

Last edited:
Sorry, I tried to line the data up,
the first column is range
the second column is actual drop of my load in MOA with a 200 yard zero.
The third column is the MOA of drop built into the reticules with the main being 200 yard zero
followed by 4 more in 100 yard increments.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.