Leupold vs. Zeiss.

dpevey

I'm currently debating which scope to get. The first would be a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 4.5-14x40. The other scope is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44. The scope I choose will be mounted on a Remington 700 CDL-SF chambered in 257 Weatherby Mag used for hunting whitetails in South Carolina and south Georgia. The range would vary from 100 yards to 500. Any pros and cons? And which reticles would y'all choose? Im looking at the rapid-800 for the Zeiss. Any feedback on this reticle? Thanks in advance guys
David.

I have and use both. I would suggest you go look thru them and make your decision based on what works best for YOU. I like the z-600 reticle in the Zeiss, and in the leupolds I have many different ones (for diff. applications)

I have two of the Zeiss 4.5-14x44's and love them both. One has a Z800 and the other a mil dot. The Z800 is dead on for my 300 RUM with my loads and would be my choice for a hunting rifle for long range. Zeiss website has a calculator where you can figure out the exact yardages per each hashmark for your given load.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was pretty set on Leupold and then I heard some bad reviews on them. The Zeiss is only $150-$200 more and I've heard their glass is far superior to Leupold. I'd planned on going to bass pro just to look through them but until then I wanted yalls opinion on it. I wasnt sure how accurate the Z-600 reticle would be. I saw the website and how to figure it all out and what power the scope had to be set on for it to work.

The reason I choose leupold is due to the the amount of elevation available.

The zeiss you mentioned, I think only has about 43 inches of elevation. If you

go up to the 50 mm it increases to 68 inches. Plus the turrets turn the

opposite direction (if that matters). I have two of the Leupold VX3 in the long

range version which have 116 inches of elevation in the turret.

Not trying to convince you in either direction, just things to consider. Would be

nice if zeiss made a 30mm tube that was affordable,

If only shooting to 500 yards none of this is going to matter but 500 can sometimes turn into 1000.

Gary

I also have a Zeiss 4.5X14 Z800 on my 300RUM. After chronoing (is that a word) my load I went to the Zeiss web site and put in the load data and it is right on to 500. I don't have a place to get beyond that distance. I like it.

As far as I was ever concerned...rifle scope meant LEUPOLD.....and then this last year I bought a Zeiss!! And since have bought THREE 6.5-20 Conquests to go with my 4.5-14 model Conquest.

Like others have stated the Zeiss Conquest glass will outshine the Leupold. Better clarity, resolution, color, contrast and light transmission.

They are limited in terms of internal adjustment, however a good 20moa base (either one piece or two piece) would cure that problem. There are plenty quality manufacturers that are making a solid 20moa base including Talley, Nightforce, US Optics, Seekins, Warne, and EGW just to name a few.

I don't see them doing anything affordable in the 30mm tube anytime soon coming from Zeiss. If you want to go 30mm the best alternative would be Meopta (they assemble the conquest btw. Everything from the glass to the components to laser etching the bodies). The only draw back to the Meopta would be no bdc reticle.

If you get one of the ranging reticles it negates the limited travel in the turrets. It lets you hold over instead of cranking the turret. I have both the Leupold and Zeiss and you can see the difference when you look through one. I am using the Z-1000 reticle in my .308 Savage and, combined with the software, it works so well I rarely have to dial.

I have a few Leupolds and then I picked up a Zeiss. To me the glass is hands down better in the Zeiss. Both are great scopes though. Another brand you might consider are the Vortex's. Hope this helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.