Leupold vs Zeiss

Eleazar

I'm looking to put a scope on my new Long Range gun (thanks to my wonderful wife)

• Gun: 300 RUM Remington 700 Sendero SFII
  • Scope Options:
  1. Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 Rapid Z 1000 Reticle
  2. Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 TMR
Does anyone have any experience with the Rapid Z reticle? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions?

Anyone reccommend a diff scope? If so, what's your reasoning?

I'd like to stay under 1,200 if possible...thanks for any and all input

WVU

I have both brands in 4.5x14x50, (on .300 RUMS) like the Z-800 (the z-1000 was to "busy" for me.)
for hunting elk/deer/antelope, like the leupold for paper and varmints, the reticle subtends less.

Agree w/Mtbullet........the Rapid Z-800 will fit your caliber choice much better. The Z-1000, though you can make it work, was designed with the .308 in mind. You can still reach out to 1000 with the Z-800. Be sure and thank the wife!

I agree with the fellas above, that z-1000 is very busy and if you are hunting, go with the Zeiss. If you are target shooting the Leupold recticle is a better choice. Two different recticles for two different jobs. I went with the 4.5-14 Zeiss witht he Z-800. I just put it on a rifle a week ago and got to the range once. Zeroed at 100 yards bullet impact was one inch above POA at 300 yards witha a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'm in agreement on the Zeiss as well. The Rapid Z 800 is great and it has better optics than my Leupold VX-3.

Visit the Zeiss website, use the RapidZ calculator on the left hand side of the page, and see if the RapidZ 800 or 1000 is the better fit for your rifle. The calculator will tell you which one is better and may save you hassle later on.

Welcome to Carl Zeiss Optical, Inc.

When you go through it there is a button that says "Auto Pick Reticle" which will run the data and tell you which one is best. It may be the 800, but it's free to check it out.

Zeiss is an awesome scope but for Zeiss to get The dollars down for Conquest they have changed up some of the processes in the glass versus the Victory. The Leupold maintains the same glass in all the Mark 4's. The Mark 4 is designed to be used as a tactical scope.

I do not prefer a BDC reticle. The Rapid Z and other BDC's attempt to match a particular cartridge ballistics. I learned on and use/rely on the Mil - Dot reticle 2nd F/Plane. The reasons I prefer the M-D is that this scope/reticle can be swapped out to diff rifles and it will still range the same. Some BDC's only work on the caliber they were set up for. I can range any target with a Mil - Dot. The mil/moa adjustments are quick and easy. The ranging on the Mil-Dot is more precise than most BDC's.

I'd recommend the Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm with the MOA-2 reticle. Better glass at a better price.

Get the zeiss it's better glass than anything else mentioned. I would get the standard Z-plex and turn the turret for precise shooting. I would stay away from busy reticles. I have a few of the 6.5-20x50's and they are excellent.

i think the guys have made the case for the zeiss over the leup so i'll just add an additional scope to choose from. i'd recommend a used IOR. i like the glass better than either the leup or the conquest. i also like the turret and the reticle better. downside: they are HEAVY and bulky and beautifully ugly. the fat turret is a love or hate. while i think the glass has better resolution it is not as bright as the conquest but i have found that the conquest has a lot more problem with mirage while the IOR sees through it somehow. (don't ask me to explain that in technical terms.)

What ever you pick, match the capabilties of the scope to the rifle. The rifle you have is quite capable of some very long distances. Also invest in the scope with the best glass that is within your budget. If you don't, you will be kicking yourself in your perverbial ***. At longer ranges the inferior glass will show it's short falls and the end result will be you getting very upset.

What ever you pick, match the capabilties of the scope to the rifle. The rifle you have is quite capable of some very long distances. Also invest in the scope with the best glass that is within your budget. If you don't, you will be kicking yourself in your perverbial ***. At longer ranges the inferior glass will show it's short falls and the end result will be you getting very upset.

This exact reason is why I am now lOoking at trying to save a few extra bucks and try to get ahold of a NF 5.5-22x50 NP-R1....they exceed my budget brand new but a used one is just skirting with my limit...I'm thinking in the long run I will be glad I waited instead of buying one just to get a scope on it.

I just ordered a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with the rapid Z 800, and I'm going to put on my new Stainless Steel Savage .270 with the Accutrigger and Accustock. I have not recieved the scope yet, but I should recieve it this week.

I studied the rapid Z retical info, and the calculator on the Zeiss web site. All the rapid Z reticals are suppose to be zeroed at 200 yards, then the calculator gives your coorrisponding ranges for each retical graduations according to the caliber and cartridge you are shooting. I used a Federal Ammo, 130 grain boat tail, and the retical calibration came very close to the corresponding 100 yard increments. 4 = 397 yards, 5 = 494 yards, up to 800 = 786 yards.

I'm excited to shoot it. But my only problem now is finding a range for me to shoot the longer ranges. I live in Arkansas about 60 due north of little rock, and there aren't any ranges above 200 or 300 yards.

Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.