Leupold Vs Vortex Viper

I just bought a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 and it's just as clear as any other scope that I've looked through. If I'm looking through the Viper vs. a NF SHV, I can't tell the difference other than the reticle. As others have said, the vortex tracks better, the adjustments are tactile, and overall the quality seems very good. The glass between the HST and PST is the same, the difference in price is because of the difference features.

I will say that having used FFP, I don't think I'll ever be able to go back. It's just so much more convenient for holdovers and quick engagement. Range estimation is also pretty cool too. My recommendation: buy once cry once.

Thanks Everyone. I hate to say this but I went in a totally different direction. A friend of Mine showed me his Burris Veracity 2-10. Didnt even know about this scope. I really liked it. Did some research on here and found positive comments about it and my Buddy loves his. As a Hunter Safety instructor get a discount off MSRP. I ordered a 4-20X50. Should get it 1st on March. Thanks for all the info.

Comparing prices on mid range scopes, I was disappointed in the lack of elevation adjustment in Leupolds, so like others said for the best bang for your buck with lots of adjustment I went with a Vortex.
I own a mark 4 lrt 6.5-20 and for a 30mm scope it lacks internal adjustment compared to others in that $900-$1000 range. I probably could sell it used and get a FFP pst or Sightron ffp new with more internal adjustment.

I've had Leupold's all my life, even own a vortex on my AR-15, I have a 1000yrd turret for my VX-3 6.5-20, tracks really well and has given me no problems! We've all heard it before that people see differently through the same scope, but I'll throw my 2 cents in for the Leupold's, I'll take them any day over the Vortex, if you really want to push it, take a look at the VX-6's for just over $1000, really nice scopes! Step above the Mark 4's!

I've had Leupold's all my life, even own a vortex on my AR-15, I have a 1000yrd turret for my VX-3 6.5-20, tracks really well and has given me no problems! We've all heard it before that people see differently through the same scope, but I'll throw my 2 cents in for the Leupold's, I'll take them any day over the Vortex, if you really want to push it, take a look at the VX-6's for just over $1000, really nice scopes! Step above the Mark 4's!

X2. My shooting buddy has a vx3 and a vx6, both show less heat waves and are clearer than my pst.

X2. My shooting buddy has a vx3 and a vx6, both show less heat waves and are clearer than my pst.

This is not directed at you but at a broader audience who don't really know what quality optics are and what the characteristics of those optics should be. I see these kinds of comments far too regularly to let it go. So here goes, I regret to inform you that those heat waves you see are what is referred to as mirage. Reading mirage is essential for long range shooting when the wind speeds are less than 8-10 mph. After that it flattens out and can no longer be useful. Other indicators are required. Be that as it may, people pay thousands of dollars for fluorite spotting scopes (Kowa, leica, Zeiss) and rifle scopes (Schmidt & Bender, IOR Valdata) with the clarity necessary to read mirage cleanly in competition and in the field. The ability to read mirage clearly is one indicator of quality optical components. I can buy a 20 year old Tasco or Bushnell or a BSA or an NCStar for under $100 that will hide mirage if that is what I wanted to do. It's not, I want to be able to read conditions as accurately as is possible because I know that a 10 mph cross wind will push a .308 bullet 108 inches off target at 1000 yards (given some of the more common .308 loads). If the mirage is running at say 45 degrees and the wind is coming from 90 degrees, I know just how many minutes I need to adjust to get the bullet in the X ring. Lot more to wind reading than that but hopefully the point has been made. Be thankful that you can see the mirage and pity your friend who can't.

I have a FFP Vortex Viper 6x24 that I would gladly trade for your Leupold. To me there is no question which scope is better. Eye relief on the Vortex sucks.
Let me know, Kirk

This is not directed at you but at a broader audience who don't really know what quality optics are and what the characteristics of those optics should be. I see these kinds of comments far too regularly to let it go. So here goes, I regret to inform you that those heat waves you see are what is referred to as mirage. Reading mirage is essential for long range shooting when the wind speeds are less than 8-10 mph. After that it flattens out and can no longer be useful. Other indicators are required. Be that as it may, people pay thousands of dollars for fluorite spotting scopes (Kowa, leica, Zeiss) and rifle scopes (Schmidt & Bender, IOR Valdata) with the clarity necessary to read mirage cleanly in competition and in the field. The ability to read mirage clearly is one indicator of quality optical components. I can buy a 20 year old Tasco or Bushnell or a BSA or an NCStar for under $100 that will hide mirage if that is what I wanted to do. It's not, I want to be able to read conditions as accurately as is possible because I know that a 10 mph cross wind will push a .308 bullet 108 inches off target at 1000 yards (given some of the more common .308 loads). If the mirage is running at say 45 degrees and the wind is coming from 90 degrees, I know just how many minutes I need to adjust to get the bullet in the X ring. Lot more to wind reading than that but hopefully the point has been made. Be thankful that you can see the mirage and pity your friend who can't.

I'm no where near reading mirage (thanks for the word, it was bugging me that I couldn't remember) in my shooting, however it was bad enough through the Vortex that I couldn't see the target at 500 yds and had to stop shooting. It was still visible through the Leupolds but it didn't affect shooting.

I'm no where near reading mirage (thanks for the word, it was bugging me that I couldn't remember) in my shooting, however it was bad enough through the Vortex that I couldn't see the target at 500 yds and had to stop shooting. It was still visible through the Leupolds but it didn't affect shooting.

There is something else going on like maybe a seal broke and the scope fogged. I've had it happen with other optics. Never seen a circumstance where mirage was so bad I couldn't see the target. I have seen it bad enough that I had to back the power down because the target was jumping around in the scope.

Possibly, but it doesn't seem like it's fogging. I live in a desert so mirage is pretty constant when the sand starts heating up. Also "couldn't see" was probably too strong, it was waving around a lot at any power level.

Possibly, but it doesn't seem like it's fogging. I live in a desert so mirage is pretty constant when the sand starts heating up. Also "couldn't see" was probably too strong, it was waving around a lot at any power level.

You should get rid of it. I'll give you $10 for it. :)

I'm not quite that upset about it lol. It'll probably go on the shelf of backup parts. I don't want it to sound like I'm bashing vortex either, I have 2 others that have been great for their intended purpose. I was told that the pst was in the same class as a mark 4 or even a nxs for clarity and it simply isnt.

The PST does not compare (glass wise) to a comparable MK4 or NXS your right....... because its half the price. I like vortex but they are what they are. In my experience the track dependably and hold zero. Everyone wants NXS quality but don't want to pay for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.