Leupold STD rings and bases???

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by TheHardWay, Nov 30, 2010.

1. TheHardWay

TheHardWay Well-Known Member

I am in the process of swapping out a 1" tube scope to a 30mm tube scope on one of my rifles. I had the Leupold 1" STD rings and bases on the rifle with the old scope. For the new one, I figured that I would just switch to 30mm STD rings, and keep the STD bases I had. Well when I went to insert the front twist-in ring, I found the the dual dovetail on the new 30mm ring won't fit into the base. Am I missing something here? I thought that STD bases were for use with either 1" or 30mm rings?????? It is probably just my wonderful luck that I got a set of rings that slipped through the person working quality control's fingers!

2. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

take them back and get a one piece base and rings for a weaver set-up. those Lupy bases/rings have damaged more scopes than you can shake a stick at.

3. TheHardWay

I have some machined rods to help me line the rings up perfectly to avoid damaging the tube.

4. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

The 30 MM's will fit the base. Some of the rings I have found have slight burr's on them which make turning them in a bit hard at times. If you do not have the Leupold wrench to turn them in with I have in the past put the top cap on the ring and then found a wooden dowel that would fit the 30MM hole and used that for a wrench to turn them in with which caused no damage to the ring or bluing on them. I switch scopes a lot and am always switching the rings back and forth depending on the application I wish to use the rifle for.
    Leupold also makes a set of steel rods that work well for aligning the rings so they are straight.

5. TheHardWay

I have the wrench and alignment rods but I can't even get the ring inserted into the base. The DD is a several thousandths too big. Guess I will go and try to exchange them.