Leupold scope ??

grit

My latest rifle is a Rem Sendero in 300 win mag. I chose to use a Leupold vx3 6.5-20x40. I happened to catch one with target knobs on clearance, so my scope has the tall knobs.

I shot the rifle all summer, developing loads / charts... I used the rifle on the deer hunt. On the second to last day I took my kids on the wheeler. I put the rifle in an old plastic rifle case with foam padding. I had to squeeze the case to get the latches to shut. I then bungeed the case to the rack.

After a couple hours on rough roads, we spotted a group of bucks. I ranged the deer at 309 yards. Sweet! I set up, and took the shot. Lost the deer in the recoil, and they scattered in the brush. My kids and I hiked over, but couldn't find any sign of a hit. What the ^%#@$??

Convinced I made a good shot, I went back in the morning and looked some more. No luck. After returning to my truck, I decided to check the zero on my scope. Five inches left!!!! What the @#%??

This morning I took the rifle to the range. First, I verified she was shooting five inches left. Next, I rezeroed (turned her five inches to the right). Produced a 3 shot, 3/8" group dead on.

I then shot a box test: up 8, right 5. left 10. down eight. right ten. up eight...

The groups varied from dead on to 1.5 inches outside. Average group size was 1.25" (not the expected 1/2").

I then rezeroed and shot two more into the original group. five shot group on zero was then about 1/2".

Sooo. I'm not sure what to think. Why'd the scope skip zero? A hard jolt on the wheeler coupled with the tight case? I also verified my windage screws and scope rings are tight.

The windage knob is also rather tight in my scabbard, and the rifle spent several days on a horse with me prior to the four wheeler outing.

I have a hunt I leave for tomorrow. I really would like to take this rifle, but my confidence in the scope is sorely shaken.

I'm guessing the reticle shifted internally? What are your thoughts?

I dont know what the answer is.. However I think it's clear you've lost confidence in this rig. So you need to choose a different rifle. If you want you could put it in the case and bounce it around and check it again. If it is on after that you could use it but I'd have a hard time using a rifle I didn't trust.

Could you tell if the knob got turned? When you returned it to zero was it in a different place than before?

Good luck to you.

The knob had not turned. To rezero the scope, I turned the windage five inches to the right, then reset the knob to zero.

I had an interesting conversation with another member of this forum about it on the phone. Can't remember his handle at the moment. It was his opinion four wheelers are extremely hard on scopes, placing the equivelant of hundreds or thousands of shots per hour on them. This is my first experience with a cased rifle on a four wheeler. Typically, I hunt on foot often using horses to get into the backcountry.

The rifle was in the case with the windage knob up. So, the crosshairs settled.

I am feeling better about the scope, and have decided to use the rifle for my hunt. I will bring a spare, and will check my zero a couple times.

Last edited:
To date I have had consistency with my Leupold's. I don't have access to 4-wheelers or horses (I am the mule:D).

Having the same problem on an MK IV LRT 6.5x20. From canted reticel out of box to not returning to to zero.

New Leupolds have given me a fit.

My $$ will now be going to NF, Zeiss-Hensoldt, S/B, IOR, and USO.

Quite frankly, Im sick of Leupold's current QC problems. And besides, the dollar is a fallin so you might as well get those Euro optics now while it's semi-affordable.

That sucks. It could be a number of things. What mounts do you have? They could have shifted unless they're nice and beafy. Heck, depending how things fit together, especially if the objective hangs way out in front of the front ring you may have tweaked the tube, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen that from a scabbard.

But there's no doubt those tall turrets can help things put a bunch of leverage on the scope. If it was mine and I wanted to keep using it, I'd send it in for M2 turrets (I think they can put those on that scope now). Much more scabbard friendly.

not what your looking for but

You could go with ARMS #22 scope rings so you could just take the scope off of the gun a baby it. You can put it back on in 2 or 3 secs,

Thanks,Keith

the last four leupold scopes i bought 2 had to back from the git go not a good percentage I'm seriously looking the zeiss in the $ 500/$700 range

the long range rig I'm working on will wear a Night Force on it

JIM

Last edited:
i have a 6-20x40 luppy that i just got back from Cecil Tucker's. my POI didn't seem to be repeating so i had him put his tube/coil spring/ locking screw on it. when i say just got it back i mean a few hours ago. haven't had a chance to try it. i'll let ya know how it does/i like it.

Don't know about these new VX-3 but I can't remember having that problem with my VariX-III. I transported my rifle like you do in my mountain bike trailer with no change in zero. Send it back to Leupold and have them check the scope.

[
My $$ will now be going to NF, Zeiss-Hensoldt, S/B, IOR, and USO.

Quite frankly, Im sick of Leupold's current QC problems. And besides, the dollar is a fallin so you might as well get those Euro optics now while it's semi-affordable.[/quote]

I agree 100%. They have ticked me off so bad I wish I could afford to replace the 8 Leupolds I have!

I've got a slew of Leupolds, a Nightforce and a Kahles. Of all of my scopes, many of which have traveled thousands of miles, guess which was the only one to give me problems. The Kahles - they repaired it for free but I sure was surprised.

Knock on wood - my Lup's have all been great. I've got a Nikon Monarh on order but am very concerned by the thousands of "Refurbished" Nikons that are always available through some of the major internet retailers.

I'd love to have all Nightforce, Swaro, S&B and similar optics but that just isn't in the cards for me. It's not that I can't afford them, it's that I can't afford the divorce!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.