Leupold Scope Warranty Service

There is no such thing as a scope the NEVER breaks, unless of course you can name one that fits the never breaks category
I was told by a very wise man that it's not a matter of IF a scope will fail but WHEN is it going to fail. $$ doesn't matter.
From this and plenty of other threads I realize that many are loyal to a certain scope manufacturer and that's not a problem with me. No difference than being loyal to a bullet manufacturer or a vehicle manufacturer. As long as the customer is happy with their purchase and service.

You are missing the fact a great many who posted have used many Leupolds over many, many years and never had one break. For those that have had one break, the service has generally been exemplary.

There is no such thing as a scope the NEVER breaks, unless of course you can name one that fits the never breaks category. I would love to hear who you think is a bullet proof scope.
Gee, sensitive. Seems you're missing the great many posts on this thread of people having to send their Leupold devices back on the reg.

I run Vortex scopes and have had good luck overall, but I am aware they have their issues and the great warrantee gets used often. I don't bend over backwards or pee down my leg to protect a brand to justify my purchase. Honestly, I've bought a lot of Vortex scopes because of my first responder discount makes them really affordable, period. I fill my freezers with them every year…so it's hard to spend more on the "alpha" glass.

My point, people go back to Leupold and Vortex because their warrantee department gives them the warm and fuzzies. That's fine. You do you.

Go check out the Rockslide scope tests. Leupold and Vortex scopes didn't do well..at all. If I recall correctly, NF, Mavin, and Trijicon scopes did do well. I'm looking to go NF from here on out based on high praise here, the Rockslide tests, and other reviews elsewhere…including military personnel.

It isn't a matter of being sensitive, it is an attempt to provide balance.

For clarity I own;

Nightforce - one returned because it wouldn't hold zero, fixed immediately no hassles. I find NF scopes very heavy but quite tough. They are used on guns I don't have to pack very far and guns that I twist dials on. I never twist dials on my big game hunting rifles.

Vortex, owned 6- 4 went back for repairs, one twice - warranty service was great - now own zero because that high a failure rate means I can't trust them.

Bushnell - own lots of their higher end models 3200, 4200, 6500 etc, returned one, replaced with new scope in a few weeks.

Leica - own a couple, never returned one.

Swaro - have a few, never returned one. My most often used big game hunting rifle has a Swaro Z5 BRX, the other three most often used big game rifles have Leupolds with Boone and Crockett Reticles.

Burris - have 3, never sent one back

Weaver - A few of the Old El Paso made ones and a couple of the newer ones - never returned on of these either.

Kahles - a couple on drillings, never returned one.

Zeiss - a few higher end ones, never returned one.

Old Redfeilds - owned a half dozen - sent one back for repair that had shot the barrels off 4 300 Win Mags.

Nikon - had a few, sold them all when they welched on their guarantee. Never bought another Nikon product of any kind.

Leupold - own lots, like I said before - returned two because they were badly broken in wrecks, never returned one for scope failure. Did have a couple of reticles changed. Service from Canada Leupold was excellent every time. Have them on everything from 22RF to big game rifles.

I have owned or do own singles of a few other makes, but one is not enough to make any kind of a comment about.

I don't get a discount on my gear from anyone so I am not brand attached, but I do know what more than 50 years of shooting has taught me.

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread.

The folks that have sent stuff back and remain loyal remind me of medical malpractice. Malpractice suits occur far more when the doc has bad bedside manner. Docs that are quacks but have good bedside manner incur less malpractice claims.

So…Leupold and Vortex run a model of good customer service trumps good products. It works for them obviously.

Well, even the lowest scoring Doctor in his class still gets his degree…🦆 😏

If your fishing line leader breaks do you change brands or just tie on another fly? 😉.

(NOT PICKING A FIGHT HERE)
You are right about the warranty helping when it came time to buy.
Price point matters more to most folks.
I'll probably never buy another ZCo ($$$$) but man, it is a tremendous scope.

Last edited:
I've used Leupold scopes for 60+ years and never had a single problem. I currently have six Leupolds on rifles and on my way to shoot two of them today. This thread has me wondering about the quality issues many are reporting.
The newer ones aren't too good, we have had three duds in the last two years. Where they used to be bulletproof scopes

I almost shed a tear…
You are the one that said you put up with Vortex's issues because the discount was so large you couldn't afford not to. I get guys having a budget they have to live within and budget is how an awful lot of scope decisions get made.

In my case, I am fortunate enough to buy exactly the glass I want to have, regardless of the cost. It is whyt I have such a wide range of makes, I am able to try out many different brands of scopes. Learn from the experience of others, or not, strictly your choice. All the best.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've bought a lot of Vortex scopes because of my first responder discount makes them really affordable, period. I fill my freezers with them every year…so it's hard to spend more on the "alpha" glass.
This is what prompted me to try Vortex in the first place, they are very good to military and first responder folks and I appreciate that! Last Memorial day weekend I bought a Viper PST2 5-25 and a crossbow scope. Both scopes are giving good service so far but only have light usage. The only complaint so far is the weight of the Viper, so I just installed it on a heavier rifle.

I have used Leupold for many years with good results. I did send one M8 4x pistol scope back that was damaged when some dolt dropped the gun it was on at a gun show, Leupold replaced it with a new scope. The only other problem I have had was with a cheap Walmart Rifleman 3-9 that I put on an Encore Muzzle loader and it wouldn't hold zero, I simply returned for a refund and replaced it with a VX2 that is still working fine. Most of my scopes are Leupolds and vintage El Paso Weavers

Last edited:
Gee, sensitive. Seems you're missing the great many posts on this thread of people having to send their Leupold devices back on the reg.

I run Vortex scopes and have had good luck overall, but I am aware they have their issues and the great warrantee gets used often. I don't bend over backwards or pee down my leg to protect a brand to justify my purchase. Honestly, I've bought a lot of Vortex scopes because of my first responder discount makes them really affordable, period. I fill my freezers with them every year…so it's hard to spend more on the "alpha" glass.

My point, people go back to Leupold and Vortex because their warrantee department gives them the warm and fuzzies. That's fine. You do you.

Go check out the Rockslide scope tests. Leupold and Vortex scopes didn't do well..at all. If I recall correctly, NF, Mavin, and Trijicon scopes did do well. I'm looking to go NF from here on out based on high praise here, the Rockslide tests, and other reviews elsewhere…including military personnel.
I've said it here before that the most expensive thing I ever did was look through my cousin's NF scope. I still own several Leupold's, they're on most of my rimfires, and I have a Mark IV on my 22-250 that has served me well for quite a while, but both of my hunting rifles have NF on them. I should say both of the rifles I use to hunt have NF on them lol.

You are the one that said you put up with Vortex's issues because the discount was so large you couldn't afford not to. I get guys having a budget they have to live within and budget is how an awful lot of scope decisions get made.
True enough.

However, I never mentioned sending one back…because I haven't needed to. Perhaps one day I will. I'm ok with that as I know I'll get a replacement which I feel is more than fair for the price I paid and their use.

Learn from the experience of others, or not, strictly your choice. All the best.

I have read many reviews here on this very thread of Leupold issues. I've also seen the same thing elsewhere. So I do learn from other's experiences. I'm glad you have good luck with them. When I was a young man I ran VariXII scopes. They worked.