Leupold or Nighforce for 338 Lapua

jlamb

Wonder which to buy. The Leupolds are the standby MK 4 6.5-20. Suggestions? gun)

Probably 6 2 1 and half dozen for the other in general terms and conditions.

For me it would lean toward which costs less and which had the better reticle for my personal use.

The last time I had to make that choice I went with the NXS.

Well i have both and if i had the money to get a new one. It would be. Well let me say this first. Friday my fat cat got in my safe and knock my 338 edge over and it fell on the tile floor and my AR15 fell on top of the scope. Saturday i went to the ranch and made a cold bore first shot out to 1250yrds with out doing any thing to the scope or rifle after it fell on the floor and the AR landed on the scope.

So I would buy a Night Force over most scopes out there!!!!!!!!!

I have had both the 8~32 and a 5.5~22 Nightforce NXS on my .338 Lapua. I also bought a new Mark 4 Leupold, but after looking it over I sold it to buy another Nightforce. I don't think you would ever regret it if you buy a 5.5~22 NXS for your 338 Lapua.

Jeff

I agree with royinidaho,optically they are on par,if you carry your rifle like it's a newborn go the loopy if you are hard on your gear go the NF,you wont go wrong with either one.

Honestly, I dont think you could go wrong with either piece of glass. I have shot rifles through both of them and they are both of superior quality. It would just depend on budget and which reticle your eye prefered more.

Never owned a nightforce but did own a MK4. Sold it a week later because I did not feel the glass quality warranted the high price tag. Your eyes may vary.

I own both a NF 8-32x NXS and a Leupold 6.5-20LR (not M4). If weight and price are not an issue, get the NF. If weight and price are an issue at all, get a 6.5-20LR and send it in for M1 turrets (well the elevation any way). Can't go wrong with a used one of either!

If you are realistic about expectations you won't be disappointed with either. Leupold may not be the "best" but I don't think more long range game will ever be killed with NF than has already been killed with Leupolds!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.