Nighforce Benchrest Assessment

royinidaho

I found a NF scope w/AO in 8-32X56 w/illuminated NP-1RR reticle.

I know nothing about this model. The only downer is the reticle but since its luminated and legal in ID other than having useless stuff displayed I think it'll do.

I haven't minded the AO on other scopes and recognize that its not as nifty but......

However when comparing to Leuy VX-III 6.5-20X50mm w/30MM tube and Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50 w/1" tube it had a bit narrower field of view when all were set to 20X.

Its a display model and has been there for quite awhile and has plenty of dings. About the only thing it doesn't have is ring marks.

I'd feel bad dickering 'em down and then not making the purchase.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Roy

Answering my own questions

Took three scopes out into the late evening haze just after sunset.

There were no street lights to mess up the test.

Scopes:
Leuy 6.5-20X50mm Fine Duplex.
Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50mm Duplex
Nightforce Benchrest 8-32X56mm

Tests were simple and conducted by 3 independent reviewers each with different levels of experience and eye age.

Outside results were different than inside results but the results were clear (pun).

@ 20X - Light transmission/clarity
Nightforce came in first considerably ahead of the other two. Voting was unanimous.

Surprising second was the Zeiss. @20X the Zeiss was as much brighter than the Leuy as the NF was brighter than the Zeiss.

The Leuy began to show dimness beginning @ 14X.

Field of view was much greater in the Leuy and Zeiss than the NF. When zooming the NF from 8 to 32 its field of view changed very little.

My bean counter (son) was one of the reviewers and suggested that for another couple of hundred bucks I may as well look at the NXS 5.5-22 56mm, I like his thinking. Further evaluations forthcoming.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.