Leupold Mark 5 5x25x56mm Tremor 3 for ELR

drathaar907

Thoughts on Leupold 5x25x56mm T3 or H59 for a .375 Cheytac for ELR. Rifle has 60 MOA base and scope has 120 MOA/35M internals which is more than comparables.

I'd think either would work, the T3 may be more advantageous due to the lower section of the grid being thinner if you needed to hold more elevation than the turrets allowed for. They also have 7-35X model in T3 that may help too for ELR.

My experience is the scope is always a few MOA short of their claims. The only exception I've personally seen to not being short of claimed is my ATACR 5-25x, and that was on a 30MOA base with 30 MOA Spuhr so the combo might have been a few degrees short of a full 60 MOA in the incline. So I wouldn't count on getting a 100 yard zero is a 60MOA base.

If you're in this for a CheyTac already, add up the cost difference between an 5HD, ATACR, Razor Gen 3, TT, Khales, ZCO, etc plus a Charlie, and then look at the March Genesis. You're edging up on $5k+ for the scope, good mount/rings, and a Charlie plus mount even if the scope is only $2500 of the total cost. That puts you in the same price range as the Genesis with built-in mount and 300/400 MOA of elevation. Honestly the March isn't as good of glass as a TT, but since you're always centered in the tube there's no chance for image distortion at the extreme ends of the adjustment range.

I have Tremor 3 reticles, I like Tremor 3 reticles a lot, but mainly for speed shooting closer in. I don't see a ton of them in PRS but I use one for that. For ELR I want clean MIL/MOA grid marks and no overlay like the wind dots and numbering for movers in the Tremor 3. My Genesis is the FML-MT reticle that has .5 mil grid x-mas tree out and down to 2MIL under the center dot, plus hold-UNDER with a 4 mil wide wind line at +2MIL above center.

My brother likes his 5HD w/ Tremor 3, I've shot through it and it's a good scope, but not my thing in ELR.