leupold custom reticle

dryfarmer

Going to get a new Leupold V3 for my 22-250, don't like the Varmint Hunter reticle because of all the windage marks which I feel are of no value, wind does not always blow at the same angle to the bullet so drift varies. However I was wondering if maybe I could go with the custom reticle looks like all it has is the elevation dots, not sure what that dot above the cross hairs is all about. My question is how big are the dots,the smaller the better in my opinion, are they about the size of the dots in the Varmint Hunter.

Alot of opinions here:

First, good luck figuring out what Leupold has!
They have diluted their own market to a point beyond any understanding(even by them)...

Second, Why have you decided on a scope you don't understand?
Sounds to me that you are merely interested in Leupold at this point, but know little about what they offer that suits your needs.

Third, a reticle has not been invented that is actually more useful than a med-fine crosshair.
The dots, hashes, posts, circles, and dilly-dads,, really amount to marketing from the dimwitted for the same.
Precision LR shooting, in the real world, requires dialing atleast elevation, for MV, BC, air density, range, slope, coriolis, spindrift, etc. And all of this varies from shot to shot, day to day.
It's your solution -dialed in, that produces accurate results, not hold-off guessing and spotting calls(field sighters).

If you have the ability to work through Leupold Wonderland toward an actual end, you should seek a med-fine crosshair, and reward nothing else. If they can't provide something so basic these days, well then they're probably missing other basics today. Try again tomorrow I guess...

Going to get a new Leupold V3 for my 22-250, don't like the Varmint Hunter reticle because of all the windage marks which I feel are of no value, wind does not always blow at the same angle to the bullet so drift varies. However I was wondering if maybe I could go with the custom reticle looks like all it has is the elevation dots, not sure what that dot above the cross hairs is all about. My question is how big are the dots,the smaller the better in my opinion, are they about the size of the dots in the Varmint Hunter.

The windage marks can be used as reference marks and may or may not match the desired hold off. I prefer to dail elevation, but have found that I do better holding off fo the wind

don't be put off by the "dialit" folks, the varmint reticles are great for shooting a LOT in rapid order in an active pdog town. you will find that most "holdover" style reticles are going to have some sort of windage compensation reference marks. They are just that, reference, and as such are much faster than "range it, wind it, dial it, run the calculations, re-dial it, shoot and hope it hits" routine. Don't missunderstand me, I DO dial for certain applications, but a "hot and heavy" dog town ain't one of 'em.

Your best bet would probably be to call the Leupold Custom Shop to get the actual subtension or thickness of the dots. They could also tell you the spacing between the dots. They will probably need to know what model and power you're interested in though.

I believe they can make custom dots in specific user defined spacing if you send a scope into the Custom Shop...........best way if you want to use a holdover style reticle, because it needs to match your particular cartridge and ballistics at the altitude and conditions it will be used.

I agree with MTBULLET while your trying to dial i n the range at DP town I will shoot the dog, I am not sure that the dot have to be any thing more then a reference, like if a standing dog fits between two dot the second dot down will be about the right hold over, nothing scientific here, if you shoot and still a little low and dog gives you a second shoot hold a little higher, if the wind drifts the bullet past his nose hold one or two dogs into the wind.
thanks for the input looks like I better give Leupold a call to get some answers

Alot of opinions here:

First, good luck figuring out what Leupold has!
They have diluted their own market to a point beyond any understanding(even by them)...

Second, Why have you decided on a scope you don't understand?
Sounds to me that you are merely interested in Leupold at this point, but know little about what they offer that suits your needs.

Third, a reticle has not been invented that is actually more useful than a med-fine crosshair.
The dots, hashes, posts, circles, and dilly-dads,, really amount to marketing from the dimwitted for the same.
Precision LR shooting, in the real world, requires dialing atleast elevation, for MV, BC, air density, range, slope, coriolis, spindrift, etc. And all of this varies from shot to shot, day to day.
It's your solution -dialed in, that produces accurate results, not hold-off guessing and spotting calls(field sighters).

If you have the ability to work through Leupold Wonderland toward an actual end, you should seek a med-fine crosshair, and reward nothing else. If they can't provide something so basic these days, well then they're probably missing other basics today. Try again tomorrow I guess...

I agree with Mikecr. I had a varmint reticle and could see places it may work but if you know your rifle well you can use the duplex reticle to hold over or dial in with target knobs. So many marks on the VH reticle it can be confusing.

The other day I asked how big the dots were in the custom reticle scope, I and nobody answered the question so I called Leupold, they are good with their phone serve, I was told that the dots will cover 2/10 of an inch at 100 yards, or 6/10 inch at 300 yards, etc.

Sure like to know how they get dots to cover LESS, with greater distance...
Do you mean from lowest mag to highest, or did you get them numbers backwards?

I have 3 Nx 5.5x22 x50 npr-1 and like very much. I also have 2 lupy 4.5x14 B&C reticle, 1- 4.5x14 Vm hunter ret, and a 6.5 x20 var. reticle i like. You have to understand the basics to use any of these scope. My 6mmx284 the load i use for my area such as elevation works next thing to perfect. The hashs are great for quick shooting. Beyond 500 where the nfx comes in to the game. I guess we cant perfect every situation. I had 2 rifles with me in co. last month and the areas i was watching it would of been hard to range, click, and send. The last morning i took a cow elk at 480 at the break of daylight. The problem i had was being able to see my cheat sheet and dial quick enough. I pulled it off and took my first elk. For that situation i would of prefered one of my B&C reticles aim and shoot. But we dont live in a perfect world so we can have fun with what we have.
mike

I have a VX3 with varmint hunter reticule also, and do not use the windage marks, I prefer to hold off. When I set the scope at 16X it should be on the dots (.22-250) out to 400 yds, but is not.

I am thinking of getting 1/16th" custom dots installed. If you know your bullet and its MV you can send it to various scope repairers, and they will set the dots so that your drop is on the spot out to 500 yds. I think Parsons and Ackerman can do this.

Ackerman and Lee both will only put the dots at the spacing you give them. they want the moa measurement for each dot. they're not going to figure out any moa distances for any dot placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.