Leupold CDS dial verification-2x12x42 VX-6

Glenn Tullius

Operation AZ Coues deer 21' is all set! My friend found a new local gun club with up to 500 yard backstops. I have my 6.5 Creed, shooting a 85 grain Hammer at a blistering 3,455 fps, that shoots under 1 MOA at 200 yards. In near perfect conditions I setup and shot 300 yards, turning the CDS dial to 3. The 3 shot group was dead centered for elevation, 1" right, and under 2" ctc. I then moved to 400 yards and turned to the 4 hash mark. The 4" group was dead centered for elevation, and 2" right. Couldn't shoot the 500, as the stand is under construction. Put one click of left windage in it and that's the way I'm leaving 10/20 for the hunt!

I have read many of the discussions on this type of scope setup, but I can only say this, it is my third CDS dial Leupold and they work for me perfectly, period. Two years ago, a 305 yard shot blew the bottom of a Mule deer heart off, with 130gr Scirroco's. So now it comes down to the jerk behind the trigger again! Will report on this hunt, bullet and scope performance in 6 weeks or so.

Operation AZ Coues deer 21' is all set! My friend found a new local gun club with up to 500 yard backstops. I have my 6.5 Creed, shooting a 85 grain Hammer at a blistering 3,455 fps, that shoots under 1 MOA at 200 yards. In near perfect conditions I setup and shot 300 yards, turning the CDS dial to 3. The 3 shot group was dead centered for elevation, 1" right, and under 2" ctc. I then moved to 400 yards and turned to the 4 hash mark. The 4" group was dead centered for elevation, and 2" right. Couldn't shoot the 500, as the stand is under construction. Put one click of left windage in it and that's the way I'm leaving 10/20 for the hunt!

I have read many of the discussions on this type of scope setup, but I can only say this, it is my third CDS dial Leupold and they work for me perfectly, period. Two years ago, a 305 yard shot blew the bottom of a Mule deer heart off, with 130gr Scirroco's. So now it comes down to the jerk behind the trigger again! Will report on this hunt, bullet and scope performance in 6 weeks or so.
I've got 4 Leupold VX5HDs and they track great except one that is at Leupold right now. After spending sometime with that VX5HD I found it consistently shot high and the dial wasn't ever indexed properly with the turret to begin with. Instead of stopping at zero it was always -1 MOA which made dialing confusing. I've heard good things about Leupold's repair shop correcting issues or if they can't they will just replace it.

Good luck and be confident in Leupold.

I've got 4 Leupold VX5HDs and they track great except one that is at Leupold right now. After spending sometime with that VX5HD I found it consistently shot high and the dial wasn't ever indexed properly with the turret to begin with. Instead of stopping at zero it was always -1 MOA which made dialing confusing. I've heard good things about Leupold's repair shop correcting issues or if they can't they will just replace it.

Good luck and be confident in Leupold.
I have had excellent service from them. They will figure it out, I have no doubt, and make it right. I had a very old vari-xII 3x9x40 AO that the power ring locked up. They couldn't fix it so they made one in the custom shop because all the new 3x9's don't have a AO and sent it to me NO COST!