Lets talk about socks baby

This simply isn't true, but it's your feet so believe what you want.

It's not just what I believe, it's what I've experienced though guiding and instruction throughout 25+ years of mountaineering, hunting, climbing, backcountry skiing, trail running and hiking in the highest, roughest terrain and conditions imaginable. I put in over 40 miles and 7000 ft of elevation on trails a week. And, it's not just my feet. None of the people I spend time with in the backcountry wear liner socks anymore.

Just because liners are still being sold doesn't mean they're necessary. Use the correct weight sock for the conditions and you shouldn't have problems. But you believe what you want... or at least what you've been told/sold to believe.

I am a big fan of INgenius Socks (Cabela's sells them). The liner and insulating boot sock are knit together as one piece. It eliminates the bunching and friction that can be caused by wearing two socks. I have been on the hunt for the perfect sock, and so far these are the best I have found. I like the light weight because I do a ton of walking and would rather have cold feel for the time I am glassing then sweaty feet causing blisters when I am hiking. Getting a sock that fits perfect I think is just as important as getting a perfect fitting boot!

This simply isn't true, but it's your feet so believe what you want.

L:DL! I agree, my feet likes layers for the last 40+ years, a liner + 2 other woolies. In addition, I always carry extra socks in my pack.

There are a lot of things that are being sold that are not necessary in this materialistic world, but people (I included) buy and use them for whatever personal reason(s). The great thing about America is that we have plenty of choices. What we do with them is a different story.

Again, it's my dime, my feet! :cool:

Cheers!

Hmmm, I had no idea there was so much interest in socks. . . When I decided to learn to knit I started with socks. Took awhile to get it together but started with a sock for my right foot. The sock goes from toe to knee and is designed for my foot an leg. Lots of unraveling took place. Once finished, not a very good job BTW, I put it on with factory sock on the other side. Was a warm summer day and went up the mountain. The knitted sock felt much better than the factory job. Calf support was great. Right foot was much drier than the left one. Cushion was much better also. I then proceeded with knitting the left sock. Did a much better job. Looking forward to this winter. However, I'll most probably purchase any further socks. Takes me about a week to knit them and it puts calluses on my trigger finger. . .

Hmmm, I had no idea there was so much interest in socks. . . When I decided to learn to knit I started with socks. Took awhile to get it together but started with a sock for my right foot. The sock goes from toe to knee and is designed for my foot an leg. Lots of unraveling took place. Once finished, not a very good job BTW, I put it on with factory sock on the other side. Was a warm summer day and went up the mountain. The knitted sock felt much better than the factory job. Calf support was great. Right foot was much drier than the left one. Cushion was much better also. I then proceeded with knitting the left sock. Did a much better job. Looking forward to this winter. However, I'll most probably purchase any further socks. Takes me about a week to knit them and it puts calluses on my trigger finger. . .

I want to see pictures, Roy. :)

Roy,
Tell me you didn't Super Glue the toe seam.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.