Binoculars for about $150

Mark_in_utah

I'm getting ready to look around for some new binoculars for this hunting season. Price range is $150 give or take. Which ones would you suggest and why?

Mark in Utah

Porro prism is cheaper then roof prism. Roof tend to be smaller binos.

I have had excellent success with Bushnell and Wind River (Leupold) binos. Personally, I use a 8X42 Wind river binos for reg. still hunting. They have worked very well.

For more money, you want to look at Steiner. They are very light for their optical power and optics are great.

In fact, I am looking at upgrading my Wind River to a Steiner. If interested, let me know. [email protected]

Jerry

I own a sweet nikon variable. They are mid sized and are very very clear!!!Magnification is 7-15x. They are the action series. I have seen them online for like 130-150 bucks depending on where you do business!

So far I'm looking at Nikon and Pentax, as both have had some good reports. Just saving up some coins in my "piggy bank". Kind of sad for a 44 year old guy!

Mark in Utah

I have a pair of Pentax ( even if I doesnt like japanese product ) quality is very good for the price ( around 120 Euro ) and if I let them fall down I prefer destroy Pentac than Leica .

good shooting

DAN TEC

P-17

I went through this process a few years ago, looked at all the big names. I own Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rollei and Canon cameras so they were all considered. At the end of the day I picked a pair of Minolta XL8X40 and have never been sorry. I sure wish I could afford those Steiners though just because they're STEINER (know what I mean?)

Paul

I've lately been looking very seriously at Nikon. They make two models that are tempting. The Sport I, which also comes in a RealTree camo, is an 8X36 and sells for around $200. The other one is a Monarch ATB in 8X42 that sells for around $275. The Monarch is a nicer set, but you pay more for them. The older model of the Monarch sells for a bunch less, but doesn't have phase correction.

I wear glasses, and they both have ample eye relief. Both are waterproof, and both are roof prisms, which makes them very compact and light weight. Stronger than 8X is not desired, as it becomes hard to hold it still to see well. Both are VERY clear.

True this is more than I wanted to spend, but I really wanted to spend nothing for them.... Fat chance!

Mark in Utah

brunton eterna, i paid less than $150 pair at gander mountain. i love them, clear high quality, havent had them fog, and they are great at dusk and mourning. give a look at them.

I just found a very good price for optics, and I thought I'd pass it on. The best price anywhere so far, and I've looked at a lot of places.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/catalog/listing.cfm?subcategoryid=11

The Nikon Sport I is $147.07, and the Monarch ATB is $243.23.

They also have very good prices for Bushnell Spacemasters.

$33.82 for shipping, OUCH! They Fedex optics only.

Mark in Utah

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.