Let's see your 300 win mags

TXAoudadKlr

I'm looking to put together a 300WM before the year is up looking for some build ideas. If you could post some pictures of your rig and some specs that would be greatly appreciated.

Mine is detailed in this thread:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/time-buy-lightweight-elk-rifle-175474/

This is my old 300 Win Mag. (I still have it and use it for shooting, but not for hunting any more.)

21527764271_3882ce1a7f_o.jpg

Mine are pretty boring. Both are model 70's, one the extreme weather and the other an older 90's era classic stainless.

At some point in the next year or so I'm going to rebarrel the EW with a 28" slightly heavier weight Benchmark Stainless/Fluted barrel and put it in an old Fajen pepper grey laminate stock that I picked up last year from a guy cleaning out a warehouse he'd bought. It's the winchester "roll over" design similar to the M40 and like the rest of mine it'll have a Northwest Precision Slotted Muzzle Brake installed.

I've been trying to decide if I was going to go with another WM or Rum and while I love my 300 Rum's there's not enough gain to really make it worth the difference in the cost of brass and extra powder. If Lapua made 300 Rum brass I might rethink it but for a gain of only a couple of hundred FPS it's not worth the cost or hassle of doing so.

With the heavier and longer bullets that keep coming out I think it makes more sense to use a Rum length magbox and action for the WM.

If I were going to do a full custom I'd definitely start the project with the Rum action and build around it and go with at least a 1:9.5 twist at a minimum and more likely a 1:8.5 or 1:9. In the next 3 years I expect we'll see at least a half dozen new offerings of .30 cal bullets in the 220-240gr range and several new monometal bullets in the .200-220gr weight range.

Might as well get ahead of the curve instead of looking back five years from now wishing I'd gone with a faster twist and longer max OAL.

Specs are in my signature. Nothing more I love than a .300 Win Mag! Well, maybe a Tacoma.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Premier 6.jpg
    Premier 6.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Premier 5.jpg
    Premier 5.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Premier 3.jpg
    Premier 3.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 113
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Rbros 300(2).jpg
    Rbros 300(2).jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 144
Is your barrel the 5C? I'm waiting for Broughton to return my phone call. I'm hoping they have something on the rack that will fit what I'm looking for.

That is correct. It shoots great, no complaints on my end. I would have been happy with a number of barrel makers, but this is what my smith uses and what I went with as he keeps an inventory. If you are looking for a Broughton specifically, and they don't have any, he may have some as he keeps a decent inventory last time I talked to him. May be worth a phone call. His company is in my signature. Not sure if I can list it in here or not but some google and you'll find the webpage :)

Mine are pretty boring. Both are model 70's, one the extreme weather and the other an older 90's era classic stainless.

At some point in the next year or so I'm going to rebarrel the EW with a 28" slightly heavier weight Benchmark Stainless/Fluted barrel and put it in an old Fajen pepper grey laminate stock that I picked up last year from a guy cleaning out a warehouse he'd bought. It's the winchester "roll over" design similar to the M40 and like the rest of mine it'll have a Northwest Precision Slotted Muzzle Brake installed.

I've been trying to decide if I was going to go with another WM or Rum and while I love my 300 Rum's there's not enough gain to really make it worth the difference in the cost of brass and extra powder. If Lapua made 300 Rum brass I might rethink it but for a gain of only a couple of hundred FPS it's not worth the cost or hassle of doing so.

With the heavier and longer bullets that keep coming out I think it makes more sense to use a Rum length magbox and action for the WM.

If I were going to do a full custom I'd definitely start the project with the Rum action and build around it and go with at least a 1:9.5 twist at a minimum and more likely a 1:8.5 or 1:9. In the next 3 years I expect we'll see at least a half dozen new offerings of .30 cal bullets in the 220-240gr range and several new monometal bullets in the .200-220gr weight range.

Might as well get ahead of the curve instead of looking back five years from now wishing I'd gone with a faster twist and longer max OAL.

300WM is never the wrong answer. I'm starting to see some weak spots going to the extreme end for a caliber and chambering with my 300AX with it being so hard on a barrel.

300WM is never the wrong answer. I'm starting to see some weak spots going to the extreme end for a caliber and chambering with my 300AX with it being so hard on a barrel.

"The .300wm is never the wrong answer", is something I've been saying here for years when people ask about it.

There will always be a price to be paid when we go to extremes.

The 7mm RM and .300wm are the Toyota Landcruizers of the 7mm and 7.62 caliber rounds.

I'm a 7mm STW guy at heart and that's my first love when it comes to centerfire rifle cartridges but no one can argue that the RM and WM are incredibly good, highly versatile calibers that you can do an amazing array of things with and do them all very, very well.

The only larger caliber that tempts me is the 300 Norma Magnum. Supposedly not so hard on the barrel as some of the other big magnum calibers, and a slightly faster velocity compared with the 300 WM. However, you have to offset that against the wide availability of factory 300WM ammunition. (Although with the Army adopting 300 Norma Mag for its new sniper system, maybe we will see more factory loads available.)

I'm honestly surprised that the army went with the 300 Norma. I'd figured they'd go 338 Norma since they already have a medium machine gun in 338 Norma

I dismissed the 300WM along time ago mostly because I looked at the numbers on factory ammo, it's really caught my attention with the numbers of what some are getting from hand loads. 215's at 2975-300 is nothing sniff at same with 200gr Accubonds or ELD-X's starting off at nearly 3100.

I also own a 300WM Rem Milspec, 24". It's an exveptonsl shooter that I use like for ELR targets but find it to be too much rifle preferring my 6.5x284 for the medium sized game I hunt to 1000 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.