Lesson Learned with Custom Turrets

What if actual enviros don't match your "predicted" enviro on your newly taped-up chart? Do you take a laptop and a printer so you can make a new one that matches exactly?
I've never had it be far enough off to matter there has to be a significant weather change to make a difference worth worrying about.
I have done it where check my calculator at some point during the day and tell myself a generic correction to the chart. like "after 600 yards add .1"

The fact is if I don't change it from summer to winter that could be as much as a .7 mil difference at 1000 yards and that does matter.

I think you are trying to make some sort of point in this thread but you aren't being effective. You can just come out and say what ever it is already.

You just made my point for me.

There will always be necessary small adjustment to a "drop chart"…. regardless of where that drop chart is located (on paper, or on turret).

You can either skull-hump your ballistic app for a firing solution on every shot… or you can shoot enough, in enough different environments, to develop some intuition.

That intuition is more often than not the key factor in making hits, particularly in hunting and field shooting scenarios.

Much like there's no way to "know" exactly what the wind is doing… there's no way to "know" exactly what all the external effects on a projectile are going to be. But, the more you shoot, the more capable and efficient you are at make the subtle instinctive adjustments.

If you get your turret 'cut' for the environmental conditions you are shooting in and use actual dope instead of supplied BC's they are very accurate. Until environmentals change.......
Or your load/velocity changes.

For me, I wait until the week before I leave for a hunting trip.
I usually know within 500-1000' AMSL and know the temp swings before going. I average out the elevation and temps and print a drop chart up and tape it to the scope.
Amazing how much drops can change from low elevation cold hunts to high elevation warm hunts. Even at 600 yards.

How much does it change at 600?
6.5SLR 130 OTM @ 2922fps has a 7" (1+ MOA) difference at 600 yards between 7000' 85* and 1000ft 30*. Easily the differences between AZ pronghorn hunts and late deer hunts.

6.5x47L 135 Classic Hunter @ 2753 has a 9.5" (1.5MOA) difference at 600.

6.5CM 143 ELD-X @ 2690fps has an 8" (1.3MOA) difference

.30-06 175 OTM @ 2779fps has a 9.5" (1.5MOA) difference

.308 Win 168 SMK @ 2630fps has a 15.2" (1.9MOA) difference

6CM 105 Hyb @ 3188fps has a 6" (1MOA) difference

.280AI 162 ELD-X @ 2820fps has a 6.5" (1+MOA) difference

7SS 175 ELD-X @ 2768fps has a 6.7" (1+MOA) difference

So…. It takes a 6000' delta AND a 55 degree delta in temp…. to make a couple of clicks difference.

Anyone who shoots a little, should intuitively make those slight adjustments.

Y'all are making 6000 foot 55 degree mountains out of molehills.

So…. It takes a 6000' delta AND a 55 degree delta in temp…. to make a couple of clicks difference.

What many don't realise is the worst delta that comes from extreme changes is that of wind.

I shoot at 600 yards1500 ft and 50 f then go to 10000 ft and 20 f is a 7" delta in vertical but the same conditions would yield a 12" difference in wind deflection in a 10mph wind

Point. We all argue about vertical and how the best approach is when in reality like you say it's almost meaningless. It's always wind that catches us out

Last edited by a moderator:

Meh. I would rather make exact hits than maybe 6-10" high or low. But that must just be me.

"Anyone who shoots a little". That is funny.

Last edited:
I'd rather shoot enough to know when to knock a click or two out… or add a click or two… and make exact hits, faster.

6-10" is EASILY compensated for by a like shooting derived experience.

I get what you're saying Lance… and you shoot, more than me.

But…. there's also more than one way to skin a cat. I'll sacrifice maybe 1/2 minute of "exactness" for those extra two or three seconds of not having to consult a chart or an app.

I've always wondered about changing from 10000 feet to sea level-- and large temp swings.

So I have never ordered one- nore will I.
Agreed, I have several scopes that offer these turrets for free, I never bothered to order them either :rolleyes:. IMO good input data and verification works very well for most of us, not to mention that I am constantly experimenting with new powder/bullet combinations. I shoot from 1200 to about 4000 here where I live but when I travel out west it changes very dramatically, nothing is the same.