Mark4 or VX-3 with custom turrets?

EXPRESS

I am in the market for a scope for my new 6.5-284 and am tossing up a Mark 4 6.5-20x50 with TMR reticle or the simple VX-3 6.5-20x40 with varmint hunters (good for holding off for wind) and getting turrets made up by Kenton Industries.

The VX-3 costs half as much, has the same amount of MOA ajustment and weights a little less, which is a consideration since this is a mountain rifle.

The Mark 4 has the better reticle, for me, and alreay has turrets.

Any opinions to sway the vote?

I am in the market for a scope for my new 6.5-284 and am tossing up a Mark 4 6.5-20x50 with TMR reticle or the simple VX-3 6.5-20x40 with varmint hunters (good for holding off for wind) and getting turrets made up by Kenton Industries.

The VX-3 costs half as much, has the same amount of MOA ajustment and weights a little less, which is a consideration since this is a mountain rifle.

You can get any reticle you want from the leupold custom shop.

The major difference in the VX 3's and mark 4's is that the MK IV's are built to take a lot of abuse and punishment as they are build specifically as tactical scopes.

I'm hard as hell on equipment so I tend to lean towards the tactical scopes but to be honest I've never busted a Leupold; even the VXII's and M8's I've owned.

I own a 6-20x50 VXIII and it's certainly a fine scope. I'm fixing to take it off of the .300 Rum and replace it with a 6-24x50 IOR tactical though because I love the MP-8 reticle.

I'm then going to send in the 6-20x50 in to leupold and have them give it a tune up and put in a TMR reticle and then it'll move to my 7mm STW. The only real reason for that is that it's got the fine target cross hair and I have a hard time picking it up if there's much in the background.

Either will be a great scope for you, so just decide if you need to spend the extra money for the slightly heavier duty model.

Which mark 4 are you looking at?
All the spec i have seen show the mark 4s have 70 moa of adjustment
and the vx3s have 90moa of adjustment
If it was me I would get the vx3 with some kind of a reticle and put turrets on it
retiredcpo

ER/T which I recall has 95MOA with M1 turrets and 100MOA with M5 knobs.
So really there isn't much in it. I really like the tactical milling reticle, which is about the only advantage the Mark 4 has in my eyes at the moment. They may be built tougher, but it is superfluous, I've had "normal" scopes come crashing down mountains ending up badly battered and drilling working fine.

yep you are about right I looked it up the
ERT with m5 locking turrets has 120 moa of adjustment
the m5 front focal plane has 100 moa of adjustment
and the m1 turret has 70 moa of adjustment
But consider the m5 turrets only hane 5moa per revoluation of the dial
thats alot of turning to get to 20 mao
retiredcpo

Two of my rifles have MK4s with TMR reticle and my carry-rifle has a VX3 modified with M1 turrets and TMR reticle. The TMR reticle is awesome.

Given the choice between the MK4 or the VX3, I would lean towards the MK4 as their erectors are tougher than the VX3. Also, my MK4s are 6.5-20 and 8.5-25. I would encourage you to go with the 8.5-25 as the extra 5x magnification over the 20x is nice.

trebark
are your mk4s front focal? I have never seen one. If so how do you like it?
I would consider the mk4 that has 100 moa of adjustment
the m5 dials I do not like lots of turning with them.
I have several vx3 with BC or varmit hunter reticles and one has m1 turrets and the mill dot reticle
My next leupold will probably get the TMR reticle
I also use the gold ring switch power binos and love them
retiredcpo

trebark
are your mk4s front focal? I have never seen one. If so how do you like it?
I would consider the mk4 that has 100 moa of adjustment
the m5 dials I do not like lots of turning with them.
I have several vx3 with BC or varmit hunter reticles and one has m1 turrets and the mill dot reticle
My next leupold will probably get the TMR reticle
I also use the gold ring switch power binos and love them
retiredcpo

Both of my MK4s are second focal plane. A buddy of mine has a USO that is front focal plane. My preference is the second focal plane.

Once you have a TMR reticle, you will wish for it in all your scopes. One of the great things about the reticle is that the crosshairs don't actually cross. There's a tiny gap. As a result, no matter how small the target, you will never cover it up. Because of your brain's automatic 'convergence', your ability to place an accurate shot is never hampered.

I have the Mark 4 6.5-20 and several VX3's and they are all good scopes. I do prefer the Mark4. They have more adjustment, I have the M1 turrets and the illuminated TMR reticle. By the way, that illuminated TMR reticle is awesome in low light.

Wow, this is exactly what I was deciding between last month for my .260 AI! I ordered the VX-3 LRT 6.5-20X50 with TMR, target elevation and finger adjust windage. I also ordered the Kenton turret out to 1,100 yards. I got everything in less than 3 weeks. Everything is working great! BTW - the Kenton turret includes a zero stop.

Bob

I had Kenton add my 10 mph windage hold offs in mils to match the TMR reticle. Sorry for the crappy picture. You can see .47 mils @ 300 yards and 1.4 mils @ 800 yards.

Bob

DSC01378.jpg

I have 8.5x25 Mark4 with tmr reticule. I have used this for 1000 yard shooting and love this scope. The reticule just seems to float over the white patch (which measures 4 inches) on the target. This is been used on a light gun in 300 WSM and has been dependable. It has shot numerous 4" and 5" 10 shot groups at 1000 yards. This takes a scope that is dependable. Matt

The VX lll LR's like the one pictured above have the twin bias springs same as the Mark 4's. Match these scopes with a Kenton turret, like the one above and they are a great package. Highly recommended!!

I thought the vx3 and mark 4 are essentially the same scope internally now. I think leupold said they upgraded all VX 3's to have the dual erector springs.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.