Len's Record Setting Super Long Range Coyote Kill

Len, my brother and I both shot a coyote apiece on Monday, he with a 140-grain Nosler BT out of a 7 STW at 3400 FPS, and I with a 140 A-Max out of a 6.5x284 at 2965 FPS. Guess what. Both of them took a dump. We may be on to something here.

Len I don't know you but try calling those coyotes with a decoy dog in the summer and you will beat your 10 yard kill and can drop that to 5-9 feet away! The real fun is calling on a den and with the aid of a good dog! I have had them almost run up on top of me laying in a prone postion! A guy really needs to carry a rifle and shotgun at this time as a rifle alone handicaps you! I have had them at 5 ft running hard and trying to find them moving even at 4 power is tough at a few feet away! The reason for the shotgun as I have learned the hard way without packing the shotgun! Means not even dropping a shot with the rifle and many find away to take off in the direct sunlight:D

I am getting excited about coyote hunting again this fall and winter so I couldn't resist bumping this thread to bring back fond memories. Can't wait!

Len,

That looked like a fun trip for sure and with good people I might add. Some of my most enjoyable and memorable hunts have been out in Wyoming. Antelope and coyotes make a great combo hunt. Actually, one of my best shots to date involved a coyote taken while antelope hunting. My best friend (mo30284) here on LRH had taken a pop at the coyote with my rifle and missed. He then handed the gun to me and the coyote finally thought he had put enough country between us and him, so he stopped for one last look. I decided to try for a head shot at approximately 450 yards the gun was a heavy barreled 7mm RM and when I sent the 150gr Nosler BT all I could see when I recovered from the recoil was red mist as the BT connected. We also connected on 2 good antelope bucks that trip, what a fun trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.