Lens Pen....

SidecarFlip

Not sure where to stick this, so if it's the wrong forum, I apologize....

I have a couple of Lens Pens, some branded Cabelas (from buying scopes there) and a couple others, all basically the same in mechanics, a brush on one end that retracts into the barrell and a inverted mushroom shaped 'wiper' on the other end that has a cap that encloses it.

My question is this...

Is it possible to add proprietary lens cleaning solution to the wiper and does the wiper need anything like cleaning solution?

Also, does the wiper wear out or need cleaning?

...or is this a throw away item after a few uses?

I would appreciate some insight.

I carry a lens pen with me in the field. I use it frequently on my bino, which gets a lot of abuse. I use Buttler Creek lens covers on my rifle scopes, so they don't need cleaning as often.

Most of the Lens Pen products sold by Leupold and others are made by one company. Beware of Chinese knock-offs, as they are not made the same way.

The Lens Pen products have a carbon material on the foam pad and in the cap. Each time you put the cap back on, give it a 1/4 turn twist to deposit more carbon on the foam pad. The pad does not need any cleaning solution.

I use the brush end to remove dust particles. Then I breath on the lens to fog it up and quickly wipe the lens with the foam pad, starting in the center and moving in widening circles toward the rim. Use only gentle pressure. Repeat if necessary.

One Lens Pen lasts for many (>100?) operations. I loose them before they wear out.

Carson now makes a good copy of the orginal Lens Pen. Carson supplies both reusable and disposable versions.

Thats interesting Bruce, I never knew the mechanics of the mushroom end. I was under the impression that there was some sort of solution in the cap on that end.

Appreciate the explaination.

Don't believe any of mine are Chi-com knockoffs but I'll have to check. Is there some discrening mark that distinguishes the good ones from the not so good ones?

My Leupy's have Alumina covers this new Viper has BC's.

I was told by a Lens Pen employee that the Chinese copies don't have carbon in the cap. If it's a Lens Pen you should see a deposit of black dust in there.

A Lens Pen works so well, you relly don't need anything else. Occasionally, I clean my optics with a drop of 99% isopropyl alcohol (drug store) and tightly folded sheet of lens tissue (Edmund Optics). But that's only when they get really dirty, which is rare.

I'll take a look-see. Being somewhat of a simpleton I was befuddled as to just how it worked. I thought there was some sort of a container of fluid in the cap that needed replenished....

Love technology.....:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.