leica 1600B question

my82cam

I have a Leica 1600B and have a couple questions about it and figured you guys could clear it up. When I am ranging a target, does it automatically give me the calculated range to shoot(accounting for angle, temp, and baro pressure) or does it just give me the line of sight distance to the target? I read the instructions and couldn't understand if I needed to turn this feature on or if it is always on that mode.
Does the ABC system work well? I looked at the bullet drop charts and picked one out for my 308 and it lined up within a half inch out to 500 yards of my charts. I wanted to see about using this feature on my 300wm but my huskemaw scope is in 1/3 clicks instead of MOA, didn't see an option to convert it to 1/3 clicks in the instructions. Figured it would be worth a try with my 308(with a Zeiss HD5 MOA) at the range to see how closely it lines up.

The Leica 1600b is a bit tricky when it comes to accounting for angle/temp/pressure.

If the Leica is set to the advanced ballistic compensation mode (ABC) and you have the ballistic display value set to Equivalent Horizontal range (EHr), then you will get a shooting solution that accounts for angle, temperature and pressure.

If you are just in standard ranging mode, then the displayed yardage does NOT account for angle temperature or pressure. You simply get distance to target with no compensation.

The other thing to remember is that the pre-programmed trajectories in the Leica are calculated at 20°C and 1013mbar. So when you are comparing your 308 trajectory to the leica pre programmed trajectories, make sure you calculate your 308 trajectories with the same temperature and pressure values.

It is a shame the ballistics on these just do not get the jog done. The owners manual is difficult. The good news is that they are a great range finder for the money. Just use it for the range and angle. Enter this in your app and your are good to go.

So, before it can accurately give me a "shoot at this yardage" it has to know the balastics of my round? Sorry for the newby question, does it have to account for my balastics to take a steep angled shot? example: if I range an object and it says "shoot it like its 350 yards away" do I shoot my 308 or my 300wm by that same "shoot to" yardage, or does a different round make it a different "shoot to" yardage. Hope I explained this well enough for you guys to understand my thinking

If you just want a "shoot at this yardage" number, use the EHR (Equivalent Horizontal Range). That's a good enough approximation for shooting out to 600 yards +/- with reasonable shooting angles. Beyond that I would use the exact yardage and put it into your ballistic calculator.

The EHR is not dependent on which caliber you're shooting.

If you want to use the holdover or come-up clicks features on the rangefinder you'll need to input your ballistic curve. That will be different for each caliber you use.

Sorry to bring this up again, I just picked up one of these rangefinders and I can not figure out how to get the "ehr" or shoot to range working?

I have chosen a ballistic chart 4, sight in distance of 200 yards, and the ABC setting to EHR.

How do I get it to give me the shoot to range? I have read that it automatically gives it to you and I have also read you have to press the black button twice?

I am confused and the instructions only make it worse.

It's been a while since I used one, but I seem to recall that it shows the true distance first and then a second later it displays the ehr distance.

It is a shame the ballistics on these just do not get the jog done. The owners manual is difficult. The good news is that they are a great range finder for the money. Just use it for the range and angle. Enter this in your app and your are good to go.

I completely agree. The BC program on it is junk IMO. I love it's range finding abilities for the $$$

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.