Leica 1600/Keep it or upgrade?

2700B - 900$
2800.com - 1100$
SIG 3k BDX - 1199$ + 599$ KE
G7 BR2500 - 1599$

I understand prices are going to/can be had for a little less with some shopping. 9/10 times, I do carry a spotter. That being said, I could forgo the bino/finder. I secretly like the G7 for the ranging capabilities and ballistic outputs.
2700 b is 787 at Amazon, 750 at B and H right now, bet Doug can at least match it. But like I said, they are all good stuff, just gotta figure which one best fits your needs, style and budget.

2700 b is 787 at Amazon, 750 at B and H right now, bet Doug can at least match it. But like I said, they are all good stuff, just gotta figure which one best fits your needs, style and budget.

Cat,
Thank you for your input; always honest, insightful, and helpful. Whatever Leica is paying you, it's not enough.
I gave my Leica 2000b to my son. I bought the Sig 2400abs: sold it ( as the blue tooth worked "some" of the time). Bought the BR2 ... still not satisfied. Went on a couple hunts. Found myself missing opportunities because I was screwing knobs and calculating numbers...
Now, making the "FULL CIRCLE", I am eagerly awaiting my new rifle from Best Of The West with the new Huskemaw with the integrated level inside the reticle, 34mm tube, and the new glass. I have turrets made for all elevations I will be encountering ( therefore the "pressure" will be accounted for), and a quick mental calculation will correct for temperature change from "zero".
The Leica 2400 will be in my safe along with the new gun set-up. Leica beats the rest of the pack as far as quick and accurate target acquisition. Looking forward to ranging the target, setting the distance, and pulling the trigger. Any steps I can remove means I can release the bullet sooner — before the animal starts to move.

Cat,
Thank you for your input; always honest, insightful, and helpful. Whatever Leica is paying you, it's not enough.
I gave my Leica 2000b to my son. I bought the Sig 2400abs: sold it ( as the blue tooth worked "some" of the time). Bought the BR2 ... still not satisfied. Went on a couple hunts. Found myself missing opportunities because I was screwing knobs and calculating numbers...
Now, making the "FULL CIRCLE", I am eagerly awaiting my new rifle from Best Of The West with the new Huskemaw with the integrated level inside the reticle, 34mm tube, and the new glass. I have turrets made for all elevations I will be encountering ( therefore the "pressure" will be accounted for), and a quick mental calculation will correct for temperature change from "zero".
The Leica 2400 will be in my safe along with the new gun set-up. Leica beats the rest of the pack as far as quick and accurate target acquisition. Looking forward to ranging the target, setting the distance, and pulling the trigger. Any steps I can remove means I can release the bullet sooner — before the animal starts to move.
Thanks for the compliment Doug!

Funny thing is, I don't work for Leica. I have a great relationship with them, but I have relationships with a couple of manufacturers, competitors actually, so that's kinda fun, but I do this on my own time, which is why it takes me so long to get reviews done. There are actually 4 or 5 other products I would like to get reviewed, but I have a regular job, a family, etc. May at some point roll it into what I do professionally if I can, but for now, I just like being part of the product development and love talking to other people about this stuff and helping where I can.

As to your new setup, that sounds like a hot rig! As for speed of workflow, I am with you. I missed getting a shot off on a trophy Aoudad due to me being too slow to get it done. I learned alot through that painful experience, and now my trainer has me focusing not just on making shots way out there, but realistically getting those 100-500 yard shots off fast. Last session we did, that's all we worked on. Seeing it from standing, pack on back, getting into a shooting position and getting that shot off. He also incorporated working with my son as the spotter for the longer shots....so he's guiding me to the target, getting range, holdover and wind hold while I am getting into position. He communicates, I dial and shoot.

There are a lot of rangefinders out there now that can range at super long distances. In my opinion, that's not where the competition will be in the future, at least not for the experienced hunter. It's all about how we can access the data so we can use it as quickly as possible...in other words, workflow. Many ways to skin a cat, but you gotta get your shot off first, and I learned the hard way that too much process makes for lost opportunities. Ehhh....I can still see that big ram bounding away....doubt I'll forget that anytime soon!

I have a 1600B for hunting and is what I primarily use it for that I really like. For the distances I shoot, it does everything I want. I can't see replacing it with anything else.

Thanks for the compliment Doug!

Funny thing is, I don't work for Leica. I have a great relationship with them, but I have relationships with a couple of manufacturers, competitors actually, so that's kinda fun, but I do this on my own time, which is why it takes me so long to get reviews done. There are actually 4 or 5 other products I would like to get reviewed, but I have a regular job, a family, etc. May at some point roll it into what I do professionally if I can, but for now, I just like being part of the product development and love talking to other people about this stuff and helping where I can.

As to your new setup, that sounds like a hot rig! As for speed of workflow, I am with you. I missed getting a shot off on a trophy Aoudad due to me being too slow to get it done. I learned alot through that painful experience, and now my trainer has me focusing not just on making shots way out there, but realistically getting those 100-500 yard shots off fast. Last session we did, that's all we worked on. Seeing it from standing, pack on back, getting into a shooting position and getting that shot off. He also incorporated working with my son as the spotter for the longer shots....so he's guiding me to the target, getting range, holdover and wind hold while I am getting into position. He communicates, I dial and shoot.

There are a lot of rangefinders out there now that can range at super long distances. In my opinion, that's not where the competition will be in the future, at least not for the experienced hunter. It's all about how we can access the data so we can use it as quickly as possible...in other words, workflow. Many ways to skin a cat, but you gotta get your shot off first, and I learned the hard way that too much process makes for lost opportunities. Ehhh....I can still see that big ram bounding away....doubt I'll forget that anytime soon!

Haah!!!
Do you know there is a customer rep from Leica that has the name "Kat" ! I thought you were him ! No matter, your posts are spot on !!!... Thanks for your insights. I agree 100%... My energy is spent getting off a solid cold bore hit as fast and efficient as I am capable. As far as shooting XLR, when I master all wind conditions out to 1000 yds., I will think about going beyond... I'm sure I'll be plenty busy under 1000 yds at least during this life time.
Thanks again for your input. I really enjoy following you on this forum.

Haah!!!
Do you know there is a customer rep from Leica that has the name "Kat" ! I thought you were him ! No matter, your posts are spot on !!!... Thanks for your insights. I agree 100%... My energy is spent getting off a solid cold bore hit as fast and efficient as I am capable. As far as shooting XLR, when I master all wind conditions out to 1000 yds., I will think about going beyond... I'm sure I'll be plenty busy under 1000 yds at least during this life time.
Thanks again for your input. I really enjoy following you on this forum.
Ha ha! Yeah, that's Catlin Brewer. First time I PM'd with him, I called him a her! Fortunately he corrected me before we got on the phone or I woulda thought I got the wrong number!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.