Lehigh mono bullets, Any experience

I have certainly seen them fail on hogs a number of times. The only place I like there bullets is the extreme expansion one for sub sonic BO loads as it gets you good expansion for what is handgun vel at best. Fact is you make an ideal cns shot with any bullet it will give a nice kill thats why I totally ignore neck/head/spine shots when looking at bullet performance

Here's a video from a popular youtube channel thermal sight hunter. He is using a 6.5 CM AR under 200yd I think first is a racoon second is a yote IIRC

First video shows bullet construction and how it frags.

This one is the actual hunt

Here's the thread he first posted them in http://lonestarboars.com/threads/lehigh-defense-controlled-chaos-failure.8824/

I sm sure you can find many positive claims as well. I have never seen a rifle bullet not capable of killing.

They make big claims for making the best hunting bullets. It all depends on what your shooting them out of and velocity. Solids usually hold up with higher velocity.

I don't use their bullets, I just played with what they gave me at SHOT

Thanks so much for the info. I was looking to use the 6.5 122 gr Chaos in my 6.5-06. 3250 fps. I have been using the Barnes 120 gt TSX to take elk cleanly. Was wondering if the Lehigh would give similar performance. It appears the Lehigh falls way short of the performance level of the Barnes.

Thanks so much for the info. I was looking to use the 6.5 122 gr Chaos in my 6.5-06. 3250 fps. I have been using the Barnes 120 gt TSX to take elk cleanly. Was wondering if the Lehigh would give similar performance. It appears the Lehigh falls way short of the performance level of the Barnes.
try the hammer bullets if you want good on game performance I have never heard a complaint from anyone so far

There are some Lehighs on this here Recovered Bullet Photo Gallery. They seem to perform well, as most all monos do.

I have had 100% success with the Barnes & Hammer in my 6.5 on elk for years now. Took my elk this last season with the Hammer 6.5 121gr. Total penetration thru both shoulders. Same type of performance I get from Barnes. Just was wondering if the same weight Lehigh could be depended on for similar performance.

I use their extreme expansion line in my 300 blackout shooting subsonic velocity with excellent results on deer. I think most of their projectiles are backed up with lots of testing. One of their bullet testers is on their way to Africa right now.

Personally I've had good experiences over the past couple years, I've killed 4 deer with the brass 145gr 30 cals doing 3040 out of an 06 and with the 122gr 6.5 doing 3200 out of a 6.5 PRC I killed a bear and my dad killed a wild boar. With the buck I killed the shot was about 70 yards and hit him in the sternum on an uphill shot, lungs were jelly and I found the bullet back behind the liver while gutting it. The other three were does between 40 and 70 yards, all had complete pass throughs with large easy to follow blood trails.

For the bear I shot him 4 times (1 Hammer first and 3 Lehigh's to follow up) which after butchering him I realized the last two were unnecessary. However in my defense I had never seen a bear in the woods before and never once imagined that my first experience would be a 475# one running down a hill at me. In retrospect a head or spine shot would have been the easier shot due to the angle but would have destroyed the skull or back straps which I was trying to avoid.

I was aiming for the chest but due to his head bobbing up and down as he ran he dropped his head as I broke my shot and the Hammer hit him in the top center snout, went through the bottom of the orbital socket and exited behind his lower right jaw bone. Due to the angle and head placement it should have exited into his chest but I was unable to find the projectile if it did or it may have deflected enough to go somewhere else.

At the shot he dropped then got up and took off away at a hard quartering angle, second shot hit just in front of the left rear leg and exited just behind the right front, impact was high and the fragments broke the spine and punctured the lungs at which point he dropped again. That shot was fatal but since I had heard that wounded bears were hard to track when he tried to get back up twice I sent two right behind the front shoulder, one on each side of the body, at which point he stayed down. Total time was maybe 15 seconds from when I first saw the bear and maybe 8 seconds from the first shot to the last.

Upon butchering the bear I found that the Lehigh's had expanded in the fat which was approximately 1.5" thick and the entrance holes into the rib cage were approximately 2" in diameter. Lungs were shredded and all 3 of the bases exited even the one diagonal shot that passed through at least 2 ft of bear. Only thing I got to keep was a couple tiny fragments that were caught between the fat and the rib meat.

For the boar it was shot directly in the shoulder which dropped the pig. Didn't get to see the internal damage as it was a guided hunt so they did the gutting and quartering but when we butchered it the entrance shoulder was destroyed and the off shoulder had an exit from the base.

So based on my experience I would recommend them as they have killed everything I've shot with them.

Attachments

• A1936BFF-BCC3-4E15-9158-CD899B5A9E2D.jpeg
    A1936BFF-BCC3-4E15-9158-CD899B5A9E2D.jpeg
    942.5 KB · Views: 154
  • C13CCF2A-21F9-40AB-8141-FE893310EA18.jpeg
    C13CCF2A-21F9-40AB-8141-FE893310EA18.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.