Boron nitrate and mono bullets

snox801

So I've been toying with using the tubbs boron nitrate coating for room .435gr chinchaga for my .375 AM. got me thinking what are your thoughts on using them on cutting edge raptors for other applications? thoughts ideas?

So I've been toying with using the tubbs boron nitrate coating for room .435gr chinchaga for my .375 AM. got me thinking what are your thoughts on using them on cutting edge raptors for other applications? thoughts ideas?

I coat everything. Even Barnes Bore Rider Solid for 50 DTC.

I use a Harbor Frieght tumbler. For long high BC bullets you are more rolling them in the impact media.

Has anyone seen an improvement in accuracy with an established load?

That's another thing I've pondered. The reason I'm wanting to use it is because of the claims of lower es/sd. If your velocity is more consistent you would think your extended range groups would be tighter and more consistent.

I was running the same thoughts through my head. I've heard good things but you can never trust the internet machine. I ordered the kit. will order the 435gr .375 also and see what happens. I'm gonna try them with my 300 bulk loads from cutting edge.

Last edited:
I don't coat monos, but I do everything but my Colt AR match rifle.
In 338L, 6.5 CM, 30-06, 300 Weatherby, 7 mag and 243, I have experienced low/consistent ES, the cold bore is in the group, and cleaning the rifles are a lot less time consuming. I noticed barrel heat with three shots is not as hot as it used to be as well. I can see multiple benefits from this.
Some guys are having problems with seating the bullets, and some gave up on hex boron, I'm not real sure what they are doing wrong, but I haven't experienced any problems just benefits....

The last test with the Barns LR Bore Rider 50. ES was 6 withing the same head stamp brass and this was fire forming.

Next is to sort the brass by head stamp and create a "set" and retest.

Maybe I'll make a "set" with out coating to see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts