Lee vs RCBS presses and equipment

Both you guys know why there are fewer and fewer foundries in business with each passing year and thats politics and this isn't a politics thread so it's suffice to say that they are being regulated out of business. Actually, heavy industry in this country is being regulated to the point that it's cost effective to get it made elsewhere, where regulation is not so stringent.

In the case of steel mills, they are all owned by offshore entities now with the exception of 3 and we are one of the 3 and of the mills is a specialty mill, primarily stainless.

Because of the business/political climate today, so long as the quality of the casting is in keeping with the standards set forth by the OEM, I see no issue with a chinese casting or a North Korean casting, even a finished product so long as it's a quality product.

Regulation and political climate has made it that way and both of you know that.

I to, prefer made in USA by American workers but that is difficult to achieve today and still be competitive in the marketplace.

I won't poo-poo a Lee press if it's made offshore nor will I disparage an RCBS if it's made offshore. It's a fact of life, living in modern times.

Go look under the hood of your Chevrolet or Ford or Chrysler and don't cringe when you see where the parts are made.....

I'm off my soapbox now.....

with over three million people out of work in this country, I look for something made in the USA
gary

Ya better start realizing that there isnt enough jobs in the USA for everyone living here! Take a peek at all the NON US people working here!!!! And too boot...how many of those $9 an hours jobs do YOU want ( Im betting not a dammed one!) Also lets add in the number of people ( no real idea how many) that DONT WANT A JOB!! and wouldnt take it if you gave it to them.

So I buy Made in USA when I can...but I strive to buy the best product for my $$$ and not wave the flag!

Both you guys know why there are fewer and fewer foundries in business with each passing year and thats politics and this isn't a politics thread so it's suffice to say that they are being regulated out of business. Actually, heavy industry in this country is being regulated to the point that it's cost effective to get it made elsewhere, where regulation is not so stringent.

In the case of steel mills, they are all owned by offshore entities now with the exception of 3 and we are one of the 3 and of the mills is a specialty mill, primarily stainless.

Because of the business/political climate today, so long as the quality of the casting is in keeping with the standards set forth by the OEM, I see no issue with a chinese casting or a North Korean casting, even a finished product so long as it's a quality product.

Regulation and political climate has made it that way and both of you know that.

I to, prefer made in USA by American workers but that is difficult to achieve today and still be competitive in the marketplace.

I won't poo-poo a Lee press if it's made offshore nor will I disparage an RCBS if it's made offshore. It's a fact of life, living in modern times.

Go look under the hood of your Chevrolet or Ford or Chrysler and don't cringe when you see where the parts are made.....

Im with ya. I asked my wife just last night ( working metalurgist at GE) how many foundries. She said many BUT...most are little mom and pop businesses. Kinda tough to get a run of say 4-5000 presses off the shop floor of a 6-7 man company...and that count mom as a book keeper too!

there's at least fourth one that specializes in pouring Hestalloy. Takes an act of Congress to get in there. There are some small ones that also do nothing but tool steels. Want to blame somebody? Start with the EPA.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.