Leaving to go elk hunting tomorrow

Discussion in 'Elk Hunting' started by Tikkamike, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

Its not the most exciting hunt I have ever been on but I am leaving tomorrow to head down to Jefferey City wyoming to hunt elk on Green mountain...cow elk. its an early additional cow tag for rifle. I am taking my 338 Lapua and my 375 Ultra since I cant decide which gun to take so I will decide when I get there. There are 5 of us with tags so should be a good time to kick off the hunting season. I may stop on my way home and fill a couple of antelope tags too... depending on how hot it is out.

2. junior71

junior71 Well-Known Member

Lucky Dog! I have not hunted elk in 4 years.

I would of taken an old 30-30 for shits and giggles :D

3. Tikkamike

I almost took my 30-06 because I have never killed anything with it, but I decided it might be a good chance for a 1k+ elk, and the 375...its just a kick in the pants to shoot.

4. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

I would like to see the terminal performance of the 300 grain SMK, ya ya i know it has been proven on game time and time again but i would love to see an autopsy with pics. Hint Hint :D

Good Luck, BTW a 1k+ kill woud be sweet!

5. Tikkamike

I shot one at 800 and change last year with a 300 smk and it looked like I ran a 1" pipe through her shoulers

6. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

If i am not impressed with the low velocity performance of the 280 grain Barnes LRX in my wet newspaper test or in game at long range i will probably switch to the SMK after this hunting season.

Any way, good luck on your hunt!

7. TXshooter

TXshooter Well-Known Member

May not be the most exciting but going on a boring hunt beats a fun day at work every time. good luck. I to would like to see the 300 SMS at work since I just stared shooting them. And now you got me thinking I should go try it out. Lucky for me all I have to do is walk out my back door:D. Good hunting

8. curtis

curtis Well-Known Member

Good luck Tikkamike! I can't wait to see some pics!