latter testing

Caleb85

Ok I have read a bunch of articles on later testing and wanted to try it on a new rifle. I think I still need a little help understanding it, so if yall could be so kind to help walk me through it. Here it goes.
Rifle: winchester heavy varmint 243.
Bullet: 87gr. V-MAX
Powder: H4895
100 yards.

Attachments

• 20140726_071552.jpg
    20140726_071552.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 40
It's been a long while since I tried a ladder test. But I shot 10 loads at 1 target. Where I found them starting to group was where I started the next round of loading. That was somewhere between 57.5 and 59.5 ( for my load) That's what your looking for, where say, just for conversation, your load 30- 31.4 look pretty close together. I ight start in that range.

First: shoot everything at a single target. That distinguishes the nodes in the larger group.

Second: use a longer range to vertically string the ladder out. Most of the experts at this suggest not less than 300 yards. You are trying to find out where the least dispersion is occurring while increasing the powder charge. Really, 500 yards would be better.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.