latter testing.

Caleb85

I have read a bunch of articles on latter testing and wanted to try it on a new rifle. I still need a little bit more help understanding it, so if yall could be so kind to help walk me through it. So here it goes.
Rifle: winchester heavy varmint 243
Bullet: 87gr V-MAX
Powder: H4895
100 yards.

Attachments

• 20140726_071552.jpg
    20140726_071552.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 54
I have a tc contender 375 jdj 23". I made up single round per powder charge 45.0 up to 49.5 ( not exactly sure don't have logs with me but) with 1/2 gr increments. this was for pressure testing my powder weight's, bullet, primer combo. I also noted where each shot landed. I think it was powder charges 48.0 and 48.5 that stacked on top of each other while the others were roaming around the target. I then loaded 48.0 gr loads and went to zero. showed promise for fire forming new cases.
not sure how others do it but this method worked for me with the 375 jdj.

Here's the 2nd. Round of the test.( Bottom three targets.) I thought that the good load was between 31.4 and 34..but I think I'm wrong..but on the 2nd run 33 and 33.5 are promising .

Attachments

• 20140726_105952.jpg
    20140726_105952.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 39
I'd say that top left corner's about got it. The vertical is almost perfectly even, but the left and right could have been human error.

Whatever that top left corner is (2nd picture), I'd load up 3 more to see if the left and right were just human error. If it shoots that flat again, but left and right seem to be out of whack, adjust your bullet seating depth, or bed your lug and action on your rifle. If it's already been properly bedded, then tinker with seating depth.

100yd ladders are pretty much worthless.
Why didn't you just shoot a continuous string, instead of re-aiming/rest disturbance every few shots?

Originally Posted by Mikecr
100yd ladders are pretty much worthless.
Why didn't you just shoot a continuous string, instead of re-aiming/rest disturbance every few shots?

Because I'm new to the latter test !! But thanks for the advise and insult!

Here is how I do a ladder (it's referred to as a ladder not latter test) Once I know the rifles max load with whatever bullet case and primer I go back down a couple grains or three depending on the velocity I want (hunting load) to maintain and load in 1/2gr increments back up to max.

I shoot this set at 335 ( the only place on the hill side to install the target) yards using the exact same aim point. While letting the barrel cool between shots I run down with the quad and mark the impact of that shot with notes. The farther out you shoot the more dispersed the impacts will be and a lot easier to determine a node if one is to be found.

There is a lot of things going on such as the bullet seating dept. Some like to get this worked out before the powder. I've tried it both ways and am still scratching my head. Just keep fooling with it and you will figure out what works for you but get the target out to at least 300 yards...good luck.

Because I'm new to the latter test !! But thanks for the advise and insult!

What Mike is getting at is that a ladder test is run at somewhere further than 200yrds, and the aiming point is only one, not several. What you are doing is simply shooting groups with each powder charge, not a ladder test.
After finding an accuracy node with the charge weights tested, the charge that produces the smallest group, as you have done at 100yrds, you then proceed to test that charge weight, and 2 below and 2 above in .5gr increments. Aim at a single point on the target, and see which powder weights group together. This is called the 'node' for that combo. It is also referred to as the OCW (Optimum Charge Weight) method. You can refine this by repeating the node weight and adjusting seating depth in and out.
What you have done so far should be ample for a hunting rifle.

Cheers.
gun)

What Mike is getting at is that a ladder test is run at somewhere further than 200yrds, and the aiming point is only one, not several. What you are doing is simply shooting groups with each powder charge, not a ladder test.
After finding an accuracy node with the charge weights tested, the charge that produces the smallest group, as you have done at 100yrds, you then proceed to test that charge weight, and 2 below and 2 above in .5gr increments. Aim at a single point on the target, and see which powder weights group together. This is called the 'node' for that combo. It is also referred to as the OCW (Optimum Charge Weight) method. You can refine this by repeating the node weight and adjusting seating depth in and out.
What you have done so far should be ample for a hunting rifle.

Cheers.
gun)

Heck just a win heavy varmint 243 It will see many of PD fields and a few deer..depends on if feel like packing it to the blind.

Mud you called it ! I uped it .5 gr. Shot good so then went .10 long and .10 short ..the original is still better so I made six more at the original 2.726 and made three at 34.3 and three at 34.7..will shot tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20140727_081108.jpg
    20140727_081108.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.