Laser Rangefinding Riflescope

It looks like Burris scoured the earth to find the ugliest rifle in existence--this in order to perhaps make that scope look good by comparison, which it still does not.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I dunno... maybe in another decade or two... I used to call Glocks ugly too, but pretty is as pretty does. We'll have to see...

Dan

looks like a copy of that unsuccesful European attemt 10 years ago, was that zeiss or swarovski that did it. cant remember.
its too bulky, has to low magnification, and the laser isn't powerful enough.
that thing will be bought by hunters who think it is the answer to long range problems,it will be disapointing and will go the same was as the previous model.
Pete

It was Swarovski 3-12x50 with a 600m laser built in. Mega bucks at the time - then many were reduced to 1/2 price,(anyone want a 600m laser today?).

David.

One of these days we'll be really high tech. We'll have a riflescope which isn't the size of a can of oatmeal, but still has LRF abilities--plus... plus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The scope will be computerized, and will accept ballistic data from your particular cartridge, and after it lasers a target successfully, it will move the crosshair image (on a sort of heads up display) to the correct point for that distance. Point and shoot, yes.

Then the next generation of wonder-scope will employ a seperate, wider laser path which illuminates dust particles in the air and gives back a wind reading. It will have a default setting to automatically impute the windage correction as well as the elevation correction.

Probably will take all the fun out of everything... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dan

[ QUOTE ]
Probably will take all the fun out of everything... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifDan

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what archers probably said when black powder came along! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick

G788 you're prescient .....well... nearly . Back in the early 90's I used to attend a lot of Tech. Conferences and College Courses related to Indusrtial Use of Lasers . At one of these I struck up a conversation with one of the attendees about long range shooting . We started talking about Scopes which did exactly what you are talking about . He said they already existed and that they even incorporated at least two more variables beyond those you mentioned . He would not tell me who was making them . When I said I would like to buy one , he laughed rather loudly . Said I had no chance for a variety of reasons ....one of which was the price : about $100K for the prototypes . I never heard any more about them .

G788, part of your "wish" is true, look at the elcan digital hunter, everything minus the RF.

If the challenge is removed, we wont want them. Besides, the government will step in at some point and say, "Civilians don't need this technology". Kind o' worried about that already.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.