Laser Rangefinders

I thought I might share my recent experience testing several laser rangefinders side by side on the same objects. I tested a Leica LRF 1200 (the older box type unit) a new Leica 1200 CRF, a NewCon 1500, and Swarovski Guide. The Leica LRF is a 600 to 800 yard unit but it completely outclassed the much newer Leica 1200 CRF. The newer Leica often could not reach 600 yards. The older box type unit is also much easier to hold steady than the CRF. The NewCon 1500 was a real surprise. It would outrange the Leica's every time and give the same readings at the ranges that the Leica would give readings. The glass on the NewCon is quite poor but it does range well and for $300.00 I cannot fault it. The Swarovski easily outperformed any of the other rangefinders. Often giving readings past 1200 yards on deer size objects. All the rangefinders gave the same readings on objects that they could be matched on. I bought the Swarovski and I put up the Leica LRF 1200 for sale, but I now think I will keep the Leica as a back-up. You do get what you pay for but sometimes you do not. The newer Leica is not worth the price in my opinion. There does seem to be some differences between rangefinders of the same model type. However, this is what I got with these units on this day.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR?
In today's world, don't expect to get more than you pay for, but you can expect to get less unless you are prudent. They all want your money so bad it's disgusting, and they know how easy it is to fool most people.......so they do!!!!!

I have always used my newer style lica 1200 and it worked great. I ranged a cedar tree at 1113 last week . There way a hairless song dog under the tree. I managed to miss him cleanly. Not the range finders fault though. I really like my 1200 super quick and very accurate. Had kevin at mcr build me an edge ,been thinking I needed a littel more range , took the plunge and ordered a 1600 lica ill let u know it it works better or not.

My new 1600 showed up saturday, took it outside the front door, I ranged some round hay bales at 1700 yards no tripod just leaning aginst the mail box. Reading. was just ad fast as my 1200 , ill try it some more this week and post how it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.